Shinobu x Reader

Thanks @shaquilleoatmeeeal for the request!
———

The past few days passed by in a pain filled blur until I happened to stumble across a place to rest in a town that didn't even have a name. It almost felt like a betrayal receiving treatment from someone who wasn't Shinobu but I also didn't want to continue on my journey with my wounds for fear that they would become infected or spread. I'd have to apologize to Shinobu when I saw her again.

Unfortunately, I was more roughed up than I had originally thought and ended up having to stay at the healing estate for a few more days. I carried my guilt around the whole time, hoping Shinobu wasn't worrying about me as much now that I would be returning a few days later than expected. Sadly, my crow was also wounded and couldn't fly to carry messages, leaving me isolated from the other demonslayers.

When I was finally released from the unfamiliar yet kind estate, I eagerly set out to return home. Trying to quicken my pace, I wanted to get back as soon as possible but my wounds made it hard and required that I rest more often, the weight of my crow that I held also weighing me down. Before long, I had wasted another few days and a half with just catching my breath and redressing my injuries. It made the journey more perilous and tedious the further I moved away from any towns. If a demon attacked now then I was sure to die with no guarantees that anyone would find my body.

Luckily, I was extra cautious during nightfall and did most of my traveling when it was light outside to where I didn't interact with any unwanted company. Once I stumbled across the familiar trail towards the demonslayer headquarters, I felt immediate relief and gave a victorious laugh that made my side ache. It didn't slow me down now though as I hobbled towards my home with a wide smile.

The gate of the headquarters has never looked so welcoming as I pushed against it in anticipation of seeing Shinobu again. She was close now and I'd be able to see her beauty and smile soon enough. The thought of it spurred me on with a new wave of energy that dulled my pain momentarily as I ran across the bright green hills towards the familiar butterfly estate that felt like the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, standing in front of her door, I didn't waste a second on knocking. It took barely a minute before the door swung open and Shinobu stood in front of me like I've been dreaming she would do. It wasn't a dream though as she pulled me in for a hug that had me melting in her hold, eagerly clinging to her and never wanting to let go. I wonder if she'll mind if I stay glued to her side for eternity.

"Y/n, where have you been? What took you two weeks to come back? You made me terrified, you jerk," she whispered into my ear, one of her hands moving to run through my hair affectionately. I cuddled closer to her to feel her rapid heartbeat against my chest, loving the way she carefully slid her hand over my body to check for injuries as if I wouldn't notice her concern. When her fingers brushed against my side where my bandage poked out awkwardly, she paused with a sharp intake of breath.

"Just a little injury. Don't worry, I stayed at another healing estate on my way back," I assured her, pulling away to flash her a calming smile. When I looked at her though, expecting her to be relieved, I only saw disappointment and possibly annoyance flaring in her eyes like a wildfire. To say I was surprised was an understatement. I figured she'd want me to find help before I continued my trip back but the way she squeezed my shoulder told me I had assumed wrongly.

"Ah, I see," she curtly stated, averting her gaze somewhere over my shoulder to avoid my eyes. Confusion riddled me of her response. It wasn't like her to become negative so easily or wish that I hadn't gotten medical help. Perhaps it wasn't that I had received treatment but that I had received treatment from someone other than Shinobu's care. Was she that bitter and betrayed over such a miniscule detail?

"Aww, don't be disappointed. Think of it this way, now you don't need to wait around for me to heal and we can skip right to the fun parts. We have time for training now and can even go out into town together without you having to worry about me," I cheerily pointed out, wrapping my arms around her waist. She pouted a bit before I leaned in to peck her forehead lovingly, telling her without words that no one could replace her.

"Alright fine but next time just man up and walk the rest of the way," she playfully teased, both of her hands moving up to cup my face tenderly. I felt myself swooning at her touch, leaning in to her affection willingly and eagerly. She cracked a small smile back at me, face turning slightly pink and reminding me of all I missed while I was away.