Sanemi x Reader

Thanks @KenjiKazuni for the request!
———

"Look at the new boy!" Mitsuri practically squealed by my side as her eyes were glued to the young boy. I rolled my eyes at her usual boy craziness but she was also one of my best friends so I decided to go along with her for the most part. Hyping her up over everything was my job after all.

"Yeah, I suppose he is kinda cute," I laughed softly, instantly feeling an intense gaze turned on me that made my whole body shiver. I looked around, down the line of standing hashira to see Sanemi's eyes boring into mine. If we weren't in a relationship and I didn't know what that stare meant, I would've been scared just like any sane person. But I did know what the intensity behind his eyes was and I happened to be a bit out of my mind anyways. I flashed him a smile before turning back to Mitsuri as we waited for Master Ubuyashiki to arrive for the small boy's trial.

"I can't believe he's protecting his demon sister. How noble," she smiled with a blush, not from any sort of romantic attraction but she tended to blush over practically anything that tugged at her heartstrings. I leaned my shoulder against her, ignoring the burning feeling on the side of my face from Sanemi's stare as I rested my head on her shoulder.

"It really is, isn't it. I suppose chivalry isn't dead after all," I shrugged. Mitsuri continued to rant about the cute boy as I backed her up. She did this with everyone and it was a normal thing so I wasn't sure why Sanemi was getting so worked up down the line. He didn't need to be so uptight, especially since Mitsuri was strictly only a friend and he knew that. Unless it was the way we had started to talk about love languages and ways to show affection.

"I love small words of validation and care. It makes me feel all bubbly and warm and loved," Mitsuri shivered with a small, pure laugh that made me smile at her warmly.

"I'll have to remember that," I winked before we both burst out laughing, clutching our ribs as we had to lean over to catch our breath. When I finally managed to barely breathe, I still felt giddy. "I think my love language is physical affection. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, even just small pokes and hand holding is enough for me. I always feel so damn touch starved," I whined playfully.

Suddenly someone's arm slid around my waist from behind me as I jolted up, my head swiveling to find Sanemi standing there with a frown as he held me by my waist. I felt my face grow warm at the touch but his expression didn't look angry thankfully. In fact, he looked jealous and it slightly warmed my heart.

"Don't mind me," he whispered with a nod as if urging us to continue a conversation and ignore the fact he had his arm around my waist and was pulling me to his side. Mitsuri looked at me with a small smirk as I shook my head slightly at her, mouthing playfully to get help. Sanemi must've seen it and didn't find it amusing as his arm tightened around my waist, making me yelp slightly before playfully poking his side.

"It's alright, we were done and the trial should be starting soon," Mitsuri winked at me before she went to sit down in the line. I turned to look at Sanemi with a teasing glare.

"You got so jealous," I smirked as I poked his chest playfully. He frowned a bit more but eventually rolled his eyes before leaning in to kiss me quickly. I smiled into the affection, cupping his face as he pulled away to look at him lovingly.

"Yeah, I might've," he whispered with a smile and a small blush. It was so cute and I couldn't help but lean against him with a sigh. "Also, do you want to get some mochi after the trial?" Sanemi asked softly, nearly a whisper. I clung to him with a hug, my arms wrapping around his neck as I pecked his cheek happily before moving to whisper in his ear.

"I'd love to, Sanemi."

~~~

The trial went by quickly and now I walked with Sanemi through the small town near the demonslayer corps, our fingers interlocked between us as he passed me bite sized mochi every now and again with a soft smile that made my heart melt. Each bite made me hum happily, returning the favor as I pecked his cheek each time to let him know I appreciated the care he was giving me.

"Thank you so much Sanemi for this," I smiled warmly at him as I leaned in to peck his cheek. A small blush spread across his face, accentuating his scars as he leaned in to kiss the top of my head. The gesture immediately made me swoon at the sweetness of it.

"Anytime y/n, my handsome phoenix," he whispered before handing me another mochi as if he hadn't just made my heartbeat kick up to dangerous levels with a kiss and a few words. This time when I leaned in to peck his cheek, I moved to press a sweet kiss to his lips as he hummed softly in response.