Rengoku x Reader

Thanks @Insert_edgy_user for the request!
———

"Please! Someone!" I yelled out, sputtering as I reached out desperately for help as the dark water of the river pulled me under yet again. I struggled and kicked but the current was too strong as it yanked me down. Rocks scraped my arms and legs as panic made my chest hurt with the combined pain of lack of oxygen.

"Help! Anybody! Please!" I tried to scream out when I broke the surface of the water again. The river was merciless as the current pulled me down. I was stupid to try crossing that rotting log when I could barely swim. Now I was going to die from my decision.

I tried to use my remaining strength to kick my way to the surface when my head slammed against a rock. It took everything in me not to inhale the water in surprise as my brain grew fuzzy, my vision darkening further as my body went limp. I had a sensation of floating for a moment as I drifted under the water.

I felt my consciousness fading right as something gripped the collar of my shirt, yanking me upwards. I was vaguely aware of my body being dragged in mud as I took a shuddering breath, only tasting river water. My vision was blurry as my eyes closed, something pressing down on my chest harshly before I coughed and passed out.

~~~

I was sure I had died when I felt my body twitch. My eyes flew open in panic as I promptly looked around but everything was blurry and my head hurt so bad. I groaned softly as my fingers shakily moved to touch the back of my head only to brush against what seemed to be a covering or bandage of some kind wrapped around my head.

As I woke up slowly, I was able to discern bits of information as I looked at the fabric I was laying on, the trunks of trees seeming to surround me and the flickering light of a fire nearby. I was confused as to how I got out of the river as I tried to sit up, groaning again as I clutched my aching head.

"Hey there, you might want to take it easy," a gentle voice called out as a hand carefully touched my shoulder. I jolted at the sound and the contact, my head swiveling towards the person behind me as I cried out at the pain the movement made. "I just said take it easy."

My eyes widened as I looked at the stranger who was crouched by me. I managed to fully sit up as I looked at the guy. He seemed to be around my age with long golden hair and fiery looking streaks in the strands. His eyes were wide and blazing as he stared at me with a confident smile.

"Who are you?" I slurred, my voice way too loud as it echoed in my pulsing head. My hand grasped my forehead as I breathed heavily, my whole body sore. I felt dizzy as I looked at the stranger.

"My name is Kyojuro Rengoku. I'm the Flame Hashira and a demonslayer. I was walking by when I saw you drowning," he chirped out, seeing the pain I was in before he lowered his voice slightly. "Does it still hurt? You've been sleeping for a few hours now," he mumbled in concern.

I gave him a nod of my head as I looked down at my body for the first time. I hadn't even realized my shirt was off as my face twisted into panic at the sight of an assortment of shallow cuts and bruises peppering my skin. The river must've done a number on me.

"My head hurts," I whisper, squeezing my eyes shut as I try to ground myself a little better. "Thank you for saving me. I can't swim well," I trembled slightly.

Rengoku inched closer as his fingers gently unwrapped the bandage on my head. He was careful as he peered over me to most likely look at the wound on the back of my head. He let out a soft grunt that didn't sound reassuring before he pulled something out of his pocket.

"I've got something to numb it a bit before I rebandage it. You managed to split open the back of your head and I tried to sew it while you were sleeping," he explained quietly as he moved to crouch behind me. "It's going to hurt for a moment so hold on," he warned before he gently rubbed something on the open wound on the back of my head.

I hissed softly at the flaring pain that gave me an instant headache. I tried to keep still as he rubbed whatever ointment he had on my wound before I felt him wrap the bandage around my head again. He was careful the entire time, clearly doing his best to make it as painless as possible. When he was done he sat in front of me, crossing his legs as he stared me down.

"That should help with the pain and healing," he nodded at me. "And your shirt is drying by the fire. I didn't want you to freeze," he explained, pointing out the damp fabric by the warm blaze. I was shocked that this stranger had helped me. I swallowed back grateful tears as I smiled at Rengoku, the firelight dancing in his eyes as he stared back brightly.

"Seriously, thank you so much," I sighed thankfully. Every part of me was hurt and bruised but I was going to give my thanks to Rengoku and there was no way to convey the gratitude I felt other than reaching forward to hug the stranger. He didn't even hesitate to wrap his arms around me gently, his head resting on mine as he held me in a careful hug. He was warm and I felt safe right here, even if I didn't know him. "You're a real hero," I whispered.