Sanemi x Reader (Part 2)

Thanks @ItsKaiden for the request!
———

The demonslayer corps was way different than my old clan. Everyone was welcoming and kind in their own ways, accepting me quickly even as I thought I'd have to prove myself to fit in. Turns out the other hashira here were willing to get along just for the sake of friendship. It didn't take long for me to soften as well, letting down my years old barriers to these wonderful individuals that had taken me in as one of their own.

Even the master was kind which had confused me when I first met him. My eyes had glued to his scarring across most of his face, fearful for what this man might do to me if I ever failed him. What I hadn't expected was the gentle way he had pet my head and the kind sparkle in his eyes when he smiled at me. Master Ubuyashiki was nothing like my old master and actually cared for me in a way that made me want to fight harder for his approval. And I did just that.

Rising through the ranks, I had proven to be strong enough to be a warrior among the other hashira and slayed demons left and right in honor of my new comrades and organization. My spirits had never soared higher than when I came home to the demonslayer headquarters to find my new friends waiting for me with bright smiles and warm embraces. I even ended up developing a rather special bond with one of the other hashira that I had never felt before.

Sanemi was my favorite to hang out with whenever we both had the chance. He had this captivating energy that lured me in, my whole being drawn to him. I wasn't exactly sure what this emotion was that made me think about him most of the time or filled me with the need to be close to him but all I knew was that when he looked at me, my stomach did eager flips. He was just too strong a warrior to ignore and not that bad looking either, my eyes always tracing over his scars with interest as my thoughts wandered to how far they stretched over his body. I wasn't sure why but I desperately hoped I'd get to find out one day.

~~~

"Why is this so heavy?!" I chuckled softly as Mitsuri eagerly tried to lift the blade from off the ground. It was amusing to watch all the hashira trying to lift my sword which was notorious for the type of metal that was used to forge it. Only I could wield and swing the blade to perfection but it was entertaining to let my friends believe they had a chance at picking it up. So far, no one had been able to even separate the ground from the sharp edge of the blade.

It wasn't until Gyomei stepped forward with determination that I figured he had at least a shot at wielding it. He cracked his knuckles in anticipation for victory but as he tugged at the handle, his eyes widened in surprise at the heaviness of my blade. Both of his hands wrapped intently around the sword as he strained to pull it upwards. I was a bit surprised to watch as the blade lifted off the ground for a few seconds before Gyomei released it again with a gasp. When it was reunited with the ground again, cracks splintered through the dirt.

There were a few beats of silence before Gyomei began to chuckle followed by Mitsuri and the rest of my friends. Even Obanai's eyes crinkled in amusement at the sight of the splinters in the ground. Leaning against Sanemi, he too had a small smile that made warmth spread across my face. His arm came up to wrap around my shoulders affectionately as he leaned in closer to whisper into my ear.

"Can we talk in private for a bit? There's something we need to discuss," his voice tickled my skin, goosebumps rising along my arms in anticipation. Flashing him a confident smile, I rose to my feet with a wave to my other companions as Sanemi promptly looped his arm under mine to guide me away from prying eyes. Tengen noticed and sent me a knowing wink, Mitsuri giving me a thumbs up as well. Clearly they knew something I had yet to figure out.

"I like you y/n, I have for awhile now, and I want to be your boyfriend," Sanemi stated, wasting no time once the view of our friends was gone. He had stopped walking to turn towards me in all seriousness, his confession blunt and to the point. It took me several moments to even process what he was saying, an even brighter smile twitching across my lips as my body became tingly. I felt light as air like I'd float away if it weren't for Sanemi's hands holding mine to keep me tethered.

"Are you kidding me?! I was just going to tell you the same thing later tonight. It's not fair that you beat me to it," I mockingly pouted, crossing my arms. Sanemi rolled his eyes at my dramatic behavior, pulling me in for a hug that left me light headed. My hands gently clung to his waist, his own fingers sliding into my hair appreciatively before he quickly leaned in to peck my lips. Effectively, he stole my breath like I've been dreaming he'd do.