Genya x Reader

Thanks @JustAstral for the request!
—————————————————————

My heart thundered in my chest as I raced down the path towards the butterfly mansion. I had told him to relax for a few days and now he was already heading off again. Sanemi had mentioned it offhandedly but I hadn't wasted a second to attempt to catch him before he left. Genya was once again making a stupid decision and if I didn't get there quickly enough, who knows when I would see him again.

By the time the familiar manor came into view, my legs were burning with the suddenness of my movements but I didn't slow down. He had just returned yesterday and was apparently already preparing for his next mission. He was starting to really worry me and I was already panicking whenever he was away. Being a demon slayer wasn't some casual career, something Genya would sneer at me for saying.

I reached the door to the butterfly mansion, throwing it open before nearly slipping around a corner as I desperately searched for any sign of Genya. Turning down a hallway, I nearly ran head on into something as hands held my shoulders firmly to stop me from falling. Looking up in hope, I couldn't help but be disappointed by Shinobu's wide eyes.

"Where is he? Please don't say he's left already," I rambled pleadingly. The hashira took a moment to think over what I was asking before sending me an apologetic frown. She released my shoulders, stepping out of my way to point down the hall.

"I told him to wait but he's leaving soon if he hasn't left already," she proclaimed, giving me an encouraging nod with a dismissive wave of her hand. I cast her a thankful smile despite my nerves as I briskly walked down the hallway and around another corner.

He had stayed here through the night due to injuries he had received on his last mission, another reason why he needed to slow down already. I've told him time and time again to allow himself time to relax but he doesn't seem to listen to me very well.

The room he had been staying in had its door open making me panic before a muffled curse sounded from the space. Hope erupted in my chest as I ran the last few steps before leaning against the doorframe to catch my breath.

Genya's head shot up at the sound of my panting as I stared back at him to see him tightening his belt around his waist, his sword handle gleaming maliciously. His eyes widened in shock before they narrowed.

"You're not stopping me so don't bother wasting your time," he grumbled with a sneer. My breathing began to slow as I straightened to stare him in the eye. I wasn't going to back down anymore, I was tired of waiting around for him just to watch him leave again. He was going to end up killing himself if he kept this up.

"Genya, all I'm asking is for you to take more than a night to rest," I pleaded quietly. He only shook his head in disapproval, walking closer to me as if to walk by me. My hand shot out to block the exit though, my gaze desperate as he glared at me. This wasn't going to be easy by the looks of things but I wasn't moving.

"Get out of my way." The words were hissed low, a dangerous threat from Genya but I didn't budge. His frown deepened and I could feel his frustration trained solely on me. Shivers shot down my spine but I wasn't cowed. He leaned in closer, venom laced with every word. "If you don't move, I'll make you move."

I shook my head sadly. No amount of threatening was going to make me move. He had to understand at some point and maybe this would be the time. "I know why you do this but you don't need to overwork yourself for Sanemi's approval. I know you want to make him proud but—".

"You don't know shit," he spat in simmering anger. My gaze averted to the floor as I braced myself for whatever pain I was about to endure. "You don't understand what it's like to have these insane expectations to live up to because you're too useless for anyone to expect anything from you in the first place so don't act like you understand why I want to push myself a little harder."

He gave a huff before silence spread between us. I didn't look at him but I could feel his instant regret. I didn't take any of what he said to heart either. It was clear he was hurting by the way he lashed out.

My hand slid off the door frame before I pulled Genya towards me. I felt his muscles tense momentarily before he slowly relaxed as he processed my arms wrapped around his torso. My face pushed against his shoulder gently making him tremble.

"Take a break. Please. If not for you then do it for me," I whispered. There was a moment of hesitation before his hands rested on my waist carefully. I was pulled closer to him as he pressed his face on top of my head. He let out a shuddering breath that sounded, thankfully, like defeat.

"Okay...okay," he rasped out, his hold tightening as I shifted my arms to rest around his shoulders. A small smile spread across my face as he held me close. It wasn't until he buried his face against my neck that I realized he was crying, his tears staining the collar of my uniform.

I pulled away to cup his face, gently guiding him closer again. He didn't hesitate this time, leaning in as I gave him a slow kiss. His lips were careful against mine, a stark contrast to his usual behavior as his tears slid down his pained expression. I leaned back a bit as my fingers brushed under his eyes.

"Will you stay?" he mumbled shyly, a soft blush across his face as he leaned in to my touch. I smiled affectionately at him, leaning in to place another kiss on his lips. He was a little more desperate as he pushed into me further, his chest resting against mine as I felt his heart racing. Chuckling softly, my hand came up to stroke his hair fondly.

"Of course I will. I always have," I whispered against his lips. A small smile made its way onto his features as I grabbed his hand to lead him to the bed where we sat. He initiated the kiss first this time, still as careful as ever with affection as he gently pulled me closer.