Kanao x Reader

Thanks @PowerKima for the request!
———

"Do you have to go?" I felt Kanao tug on my sleeve needily, trying to pull me away from the door. Turning to look at her, I could see her eyes wide with eagerness and pleading for me to stay. She was sometimes like this, extra clingy and not wanting me to leave her side even though I wasn't going far. Mitsuri was just around the corner so it wouldn't even take me long.

"I'll be right back Kanao darling, it will only be a moment," I smiled gently, pulling her hand off my sleeve to hold between us tenderly. She didn't seem to be assured as she pouted at me. The sight of her wide eyes and desperate expression was almost enough to make me stay but I had to deliver the package to Mitsuri before she left for her mission. The medicines I was to deliver could save her life if she needed it.

Kanao knew I needed to go see her and that this was nothing more than just a delivery but lately she's been trying to keep me away from others. It might've been a sense of possessiveness on her end or possibly jealousy even though I've been nothing but loyal and true to her. I would never even dream of seeing another woman besides Kanao and I have constantly told her as much.

"Do you have to see her?" The whisper was so quiet and meek, I barely heard it. I perked up once I heard the accusatory tone in her words, a tone I rarely heard from someone as quiet as her. I couldn't miss it though, bringing her in to stare deep into her eyes that were now trying to look anywhere but at me. Her shyness was overcoming her uneasiness for letting me go as was evident in the way her hold on me loosened.

"Is it because she's the love hashira you think she's going to be able to seduce me, brainwash me and take me away from you? You think she's going to be able to break the bond we have with a single wink? Have some faith in me as well as our relationship Kanao, I would never leave you for someone else," I whispered encouragingly, kissing her forehead with finality. I couldn't stay here much longer if I planned on giving Mitsuri her package before she left. No matter how this went with Kanao and I, it had to wrap us soon or at least be put on pause until I came back.

"But she's prettier than me, and stronger as well as older. Isn't that what you want?" Kanao frowned, her eyes becoming misty as she held onto me tighter. I hadn't realized that she was insecure about herself and if that was what she was worried about this whole time. It hurt to imagine her disliking anything about herself or comparing herself to other girls while trying to hold me closer so I didn't leave her.

Both of my hands cupped her face as I fully turned towards her with all of my attention spent on her. She looked so disappointed and sad that it broke my heart. I wish she would've told me these feelings existed earlier so we could work through them together. Who knows how long she's even been feeling this way? It wasn't fair for someone as wonderful as her to not notice her amazing qualities like I did.

I pulled her closer to me so I could properly look into her eyes to ensure I had her attention. When her face started to gain a slight blush, I knew she was ready to listen to what I had to say. And there was plenty I wanted to say to her despite the limited time I had left here before Mitsuri left for her mission with or without the medicine that was crucial for her success and survival.

"Kanao, you're everything I want. No one else is prettier than you or stronger and I could care less about any romantic advances made by anyone else if they aren't from you. You're everything I need and want from everything you deem as a flaw to everything I see as beauty. I love you," I declared, not so much as blinking to show how dedicated I was that the message made it through to her. The blush on her face darkened as her lips twitched into a flustered smile.

"I love you too," she whispered shyly, her hands holding my arms gently. My chest swelled with satisfaction and affection as I leaned in to place another kiss on her forehead lovingly, taking a moment to hover close to her before pulling away. She got the message from my gesture, finally letting go of me as I tucked the package I was meant to deliver under my arm.

"I'll be right back and then we can take a nap together," I reassured her, waving goodbye over my shoulder. She still had a bright blush that was now accompanied by a small smile that told me she'd be alright for the few moments that I was away. Hopefully she didn't feel any sort of jealousy or disappointment as I walked out the door, promising to be back in her arms soon enough.