Shinobu x Reader

Thanks @DiaboAlpaca for the request!
———

Shinobu POV

"May I help you, miss?"  My head swiveled around as I tried to see into the dark shadows of the night.  It didn't take long for my sword to be drawn as I tried to spot the owner of the voice.  There was a high chance that the voice could belong to a demon hoping to lure me out and kill me.  I had to play it safe. 

"I'm sorry sir, but where are you?  I hope you understand my precaution considering the hour," I called out cheerily, eyes desperately sweeping the line of trees.  There wasn't any movement as I hesitantly spun slowly to look for any signs of life.  Something seemed off but not dangerous and I trusted my instincts more than anything.  It didn't feel like my life was in danger.

"I apologize!  I don't mean to scare you, I only want to help.  The night is unforgivable and I wanted to make sure you weren't lost," the voice echoed nervously.  It was then I noticed the figure slowly moving out from the shadows.  He had his arms up to show he was unarmed and didn't intend to attack as I looked him over. 

The moonlight hit him perfectly as I inhaled sharply.  He was certainly a fine looking gentleman with a long coat and bright eyes that immediately cut to me with what looked like his own unease.  There wasn't anything threatening about him as he kept his distance, eyes glancing between me and my sword still raised between us.  Taking a bet, I sheathed my sword with a nod.

"That's kind of you to offer.  I'm not lost, just on patrol for demons so you don't have to worry about me hurting you," I smiled.  The man's eyebrows creased for a brief moment before his hands fell to his sides.  He still looked a bit uneasy but he managed to give me his own small smile somewhat shyly as his eyes fell to the ground. 

"I'm y/n.  Does being on patrol mean you're a demonslayer?" he asked with a curious tilt to his head.  The movement was actually quite adorable, as if he was a confused puppy.  I took a step closer to him, his shoulders tensing in response.  He seemed a bit skittish but didn't try to run as I moved a little nearer. 

"Yup!  My name's Shinobu and it's nice to meet you.  What are you doing out here so late?" I questioned.  It might've seemed like I was lost before but it was still strange that he was out here alone just wandering around.  He didn't look suspicious though as his eyes brightened in the moonlight.  He looked almost excited as he began to slightly bounce on his heels. 

"I live nearby actually!  I heard someone out here and wanted to check that nothing was wrong," he cheerily replied, his uneasiness dwindling right before my eyes.  He looked eager to help someone in need and the thought filled my heart with satisfaction.  There were still good people around and y/n was proving it as he smiled brightly.  My chest clenched at his expression as an idea crossed my mind. 

"I'm supposed to patrol here for a while due to reports of a demon in the area.  Do you think we could meet here again?" I proposed.  Excitement and anticipation practically bubbled from him even as he tilted his face away bashfully.  He managed a nod as we agreed to meet here again the next night.  I wouldn't figure out what he truly was until much later when it would be too late.

~~~

We ended up meeting the next night and the next and the next.  Each time he'd open up a bit more and I eventually found myself falling for him bit by bit.  He was kind and considerate with aspirations to guide as many people as possible through life.  I shared parts of my life as well as he listened intently. 

Eventually I found myself falling for this sweet man.  I should've seen the signs though.  They were right in front of me the entire time.  Maybe a part of me was in denial of the truth or maybe I knew it but didn't care.  I spent so much of my life hating demons though, hunting them down and dedicating my life to the cause of killing them off.  It was crazy to believe I was falling for one.  It didn't stop me from visiting him though even if it did hurt to know I could never have him. 

"Shinobu, I have a confession," y/n whispered one night, laying his head on his knees to hide his expression.  I already knew what he was going to say but I needed to hear him say it to shake me from my denial.  It wouldn't be fair to either of us if I left now before we had a chance to try to work things out.  Y/n took a deep breath to steady himself as I crossed my legs in anticipation. 

"I'm a demon.  I'm sorry that I didn't tell you before but things just kicked off pretty quickly and eventually I found that I didn't want you to leave me," he mumbled sadly, hugging his legs while not looking at me.  I sighed the breath I had been holding.  How could I fall for the one thing I was supposed to hate the most?  Staring at him now though, I knew I'd never be able to hate him. 

Laying my head on his shoulder, I felt him tense up before calming down again.  His soothing aura moved between us as one of his arms hesitantly wrapped around my shoulders.  I knew he wanted to pull me closer but he was always too shy to do something on his own. 

Instead we stayed like that, unspoken words moving between us.  This wouldn't ever be able to properly work but we could have this moment before I chose to speak.  If we were lucky, maybe I'd never speak again so we didn't have to hear the words neither of us wanted to accept.