Tanjiro + Nezuko and Reader

The news had been terrible.  I loved my dear sister with my whole heart, cherished her family and would help whenever I came around to visit.  Her small children held such pleasantness and an endearing wonder as they would run around me when I visited.  Now those times are gone. 

I had been on my way to stop by my sister's house for a surprise encounter when a sudden chill jolted down my spine.  Stopping along the trail, my back had straightened as a strange sense of foreboding rushed through me.  The moment passed and yet anxiety still lingered as I started to run through the forest, desperate to see my sister and her children. 

When I had arrived, my heart skipped a beat as my head swam.  The white snow was painted bright red with bodies littering the area.  I sank to the ground, my knees flaring in pain that was nowhere near as brutal as the aching in my heart.  My beautiful sister lay broken and bloodied with her youngest clutched close and unmoving. 

It took me nearly an hour of agonized silence before I could muster up the courage to stand on my shaky legs.  Stumbling, I looked through the household, desperate for a sign that this wasn't happening.  But as my delusion faded away, I began to despair with each new body I recovered. 

However, when I started to think all hope was lost, I spotted a trail of blood and footprints leading away from the massacre.  Two of my sister's children had been missing when I had gone around to shut everyone's eyes and a new strong determination to find them filled me, blinded me. 

Taking a final moment to say goodbye to the fallen, my dear sister and her beautiful children, I set out to seek any survivors and bring them home to me.  "I'll find you Tanjiro, Nezuko.  I promise."

~~~

I sighed in exhaustion, my head heavy as the sunlight reached the tip of the trees.  Walking through the night had drained me, my energy low from being on edge for long periods of time.  Any rustle had sent me sprinting in fear.  The call of morning was my only saving grace after many nights spent lonely and afraid. 

It's been a couple days since I set out to find my nephew and niece with luck on my side.  Right when I was nervous that I had reached the end of the trail, a new sign would lead me closer to my family.  I knew deep down that I was close now, it would only be a matter of time before I was able to find them. 

The thought revitalized me as I picked up my pace.  The sun began to warm me with my blood pumping faster.  I've come this far and promised to find them.  Nothing would stop me from making sure Tanjiro and Nezuko were safe. 

A couple more hours passed when I heard it, a familiar voice that lifted my spirits and brought tears to my eyes.  Breaking into a run, I didn't wait a moment to delay or hesitate.  It was Tanjiro's voice and when I rounded the bend in the trail, I ran right into him, throwing my arms around the small boy. 

"Uncle y/n!  What are you doing out here?" Tanjiro cried out in shock, a wide smile on his face.  I chuckled but our shared happiness quickly turned solemn as we ended up crying, holding each other as I pulled the small boy in my lap, running my fingers through his hair tenderly. 

"Oh my darling, I was so scared that I wouldn't find you.  Where's your sister?" I questioned, holding Tanjiro's face in my hands as I looked over his body for injuries.  He was so much bigger now, no longer a small child like how I still envisioned him to be.  My eyes strayed to a large box strapped to his back.  I could've sworn I heard a scratching sound come from within. 

"There's a lot that's happened.  I'm just glad to have you back uncle y/n," Tanjiro whispered sadly.  He inhaled deeply as I pulled him in for another hug.  A moment passed before Tanjiro told his story from the moment he returned home to a bloodbath to finding Nezuko as a demon to their journey to find a man who would train Tanjiro to be a demonslayer. 

When he finished, he had tears running down his face, my hand coming up to wipe them away gently.  I tenderly helped him shoulder off the large box that supposedly had his sister inside, holding it close to me as I sighed feeling fulfilled. 

"Nezuko, if you can hear me, I'm here.  I'm not going anywhere..." I looked at Tanjiro, "...I'll take care of you two."  His eyes welled up again as a soft scratching sounded from within the box again.  I held it tighter, breathing softly before standing up.  Wiping away my own tears, I allowed Tanjiro to take the box and shoulder it. 

"Are you sure you want to come with?" my nephew asked, unsure and sounding nervous.  I gave him a wide smile, pulling him closer to me by the shoulders as we started to walk down the trail.  Someone needed to watch over him and his sister. 

"You can't shake me off that easy.  I'm not leaving your side darling," I smiled warmly.  Tanjiro looked up at me with relieved tears and his own shaky smile.  He sniffled as I leaned his head closer to me as we went along.  I made a silent promise to raise Tanjiro and Nezuko as their parental figure and I planned on making good on that promise.