Shinobu x Reader

Thanks @aubreykin for the prompt!  I hope I did your idea justice.

The sound of hurried pen scratching against parchment filled the room.  The occasional shuffle of papers broke the routine white noise before picking back up again with rigor.  Only the warm light of a candle lit the dark space but I didn't mind too much, as long as I could see what I was writing I was fine. 

Ink was smeared along my fingers and sleeves, sweat collecting along my collar.  It wasn't even warm, actually quite chilly with the window open to the dark night.  I sighed as I shuffled the papers again, rolling them up to tie a ribbon around the messages.  I whistled a soft tune, my bird not missing a beat as she flew in through the window. 

"Good evening Duchess, more letters to the Sound Hashira please," I whispered lowly, running a finger down the small raven's back tenderly.  She tilted her head slightly, wings ruffling in my direction.  "I'm sorry love, I can't go to sleep just yet but thank you for caring."  Duchess offered a motherly nip to my finger before snatching the documents from my desk.  I chuckled softly at her concern, taking a moment to watch her sweep out the window to blend into the black of night. 

My smile quickly dissipated along with any joy as I reached for more paper.  My fingers found their regular place on the quill, reaching to dip for more ink.  The Mist Hashira was due for a reminder of where he was supposed to be heading and how to return.  By the time Duchess returned I was expected to have the memo written out and ready for delivery. 

My eyes burned at the lack of sleep but I began writing nonetheless.  When was the last time I even took a break?  It didn't matter anyway with almost every Hashira requiring information, updates and messages at every hour of the day and night. 

There was sudden movement in the corner of my vision, my head snapping in that direction to find nothing.  I could've sworn I saw someone standing there.  Chills ran along my arms despite the sweat that was now rolling down my back.  "Get back to work", something whispered in my ear. 

My hand came up to slap the side of my head anxiously and yet nothing was there.  Eyes widening and heartbeat thundering I began to wonder if this was the beginning of insanity.  "I was just about to do that before you interrupted," I mumbled miserably. 

"Who are you talking to?"  Every one of my nerves set on fire, a small yelp slipping past my lips as I flinched at the scare.  The ink pot spilt across the parchment, staining the paper past fixing.  My eyes landed on Shinobu standing by the doorway with her usual captivating stare.  I quickly composed myself, reaching for another paper while crumpling up the ruined one. 

"I wasn't talking to anyone," I grumbled irritably.  "But, out of curiosity, how long were you standing there?"  I dipped my quill back into the ink pot, beginning the Mist Hashira's letter of instructions for how to get back to headquarters. 

"Long enough to worry about when the last time you slept was," she stated accusingly, her smile never slipping.  A huff sounded from me despite her kindness.  We didn't need to all be worrying about my sleep deprivation.  There was too much to do and not enough time to take a break. 

"I'm fine but thank you for caring," I offered with a brief wave.  She didn't leave though like I was hoping she wouldn't.  I didn't want to be alone with the voice in my head and the moving shadows. 

Even now there were dark tendrils in the edges of my vision, threatening to attack once Shinobu left.  "The Mist Hashira might as well die without his instructions", the voice hissed. 

My hands slammed onto the table harshly, this time making Shinobu jump.  Sweat rolled down my face to drip onto the parchment.  My hands trembled as I crumpled up another paper to throw away, sighing at the waste.  "Please excuse my behavior, I'm fine," my voice wavered. 

"You need to rest.  Going days without sleep is detrimental to your health," she soothingly explained.  It didn't matter though.  If I took time for my health then what of the others?  They could die without me to help guide them, to relay important information.  I felt the beginning of a headache start throbbing at the base of my skull, spreading to my temples quickly. 

"I said I'm fine, Shinobu.  I'll be fine once the rest of the Hashira are here and safe again but for now their lives depend on me," I muttered.  I hunched forward, bent on finishing the map back home for the Mist Hashira before Duchess returned.  It had to be any moment now considering how quickly she flies. 

"Fine, if you really think you're okay like you say but just so you know sweating and hearing voices isn't a good sign...". 

"She wants them to die, she wants you to die as well", the voice seethed.  The black tendrils closed in slightly, reaching for my throat.  There was a sudden scream behind me making me spin around in terror. 

"Look at you, this isn't fine," Shinobu hurried towards me nervously, her hands coming up to my face but I jerked away. 

"She's not trying to help you, don't let your emotions blind you from the truth.  The Mist Hashira is dying without you, the Sound Hashira, everyone is dying—". 

"Just shut up already!"  My hands tore at my hair, desperately trying to keep away the voice.  One of the black tendrils materialized into the silhouette of a person, a familiar person.  A bloodlust Shinobu stared at me with all black eyes, her finger pointing at me in accusation. 

"They're all gonna die", the creature gurgled.  My frustration and fear mingled into one unstoppable mess. 

"If you stopped distracting me I could be done already," I sneered.  My hands reached for the ink pot in a shaky grip, my arm winding back to launch it across the room.  The pot spilled ink all over my robes, the glass case shattering against the bookshelf.  The warped Shinobu frowned at me, an expression that didn't fit the real Shinobu.  I reached for a nearby book, chucking that in its direction just for it to pass through and knock a painting off the wall. 

There was a frantic pull on my robes making me panic, my arm coming up to hit whatever it was.  The thing moved quickly, winding around behind me and out to my reach.  The papers scattered off my desk as I was pushed into it.  I groaned in pain as my head snapped painfully against the surface. 

The real Shinobu stared down at me sadly, her eyes so close to me I could see my crazed expression in them.  My body spasmed to fight against her.  How was I to know this wasn't a trick of my mind as well?  I struggled against her but she held me down in place, her fingers sliding into my mouth.  I fought the desperate urge to bite down in case this was the real Shinobu.  I'd never want to hurt her.  Something slid down my throat, my first instinct to throw it up.  A tender hand slid through my hair soothingly. 

"Please, trust me," Shinobu whispered.  Panic still shot through my body but I was more confident in this girl.  Only Shinobu could be this gentle.  I nodded, an exhausted tear sliding down my face as I swallowed.  My body went limp in her hold as she whispered assurances in my ear.  My body shivered with each stroke of my hair, my eyes starting to droop despite my efforts. 

"No, please.  They're all depending on me.  Don't let them die.  Don't let me die," I hysterically mumbled as darkness crowded my vision. 

"Everything's going to be alright.  Just sleep," she murmured in my ear.  I had no choice but to let exhaustion lull me to much needed slumber.  It didn't take too long before I was passed out and dreaming of Shinobu's hands in mine under a starlit sky free of expectations and stress.