Tengen x Reader

Thanks @Greg_thesnail185 for the request!
——————————————————————————

It was like hell had found its way in this world as I stared down the swaying demon.  His swords were evil looking, curved and made for death.  Its cut would leave a nasty mark on anything it came in contact with.  I had to make sure it didn't come anywhere near Tengen. 

My husband stood nearby, exhausted and panting as he glared at the demon.  The hate in his eyes made me shiver, sending fear spiraling through me.  If he ever found out, would he stare at me that way?  My eyes glanced at the ring band on my left hand before bringing it up to my mouth to press a lucky kiss to it.  We'd need all the luck we could get to behead this monster. 

My own blades were nothing to mess with either, long and ragged, ready to leave jagged wounds that would take a demon longer to heal.  They were meant for cases like this where we needed to wear down a demon rather than a quick kill.  These, matched with Tengen's stamina, should be enough to end this horrible nightmare.  I could feel the stare of Tanjiro nearby and knew I had to protect him as well.  Hell, I had to protect everyone.  If I lost even a single life, I'd have to live with that guilt for the rest of my life.  And my life could be long. 

It filled me with a renewed strength needed for this battle.  The enemy demon gave us a glare as he started to move, slowly at first until he darted forward.  He was fast but I was faster as I intercepted his strike against my husband.  Tengen let out a gasp as he rolled to the side, my blade sparking off the demon's.  I snarled at the audacity of this demon to attack someone so dear to me.  He'd pay for even having such a thought. 

Inhaling deeply, I called upon my breathing technique to center my focus from straying thoughts and distractions.  As a hashira, I've mastered the art of deep breathing and was able to keep myself energized and renewed with a deep breath.  That paired with my natural healing abilities made me a formidable opponent against all enemies. 

"What's a demon doing with some humans?  You should be with your own kind," the demon sighed in his scratchy voice.  The offer wasn't a kind one though as he sliced his blade close to my neck.  I managed to jump back in time to avoid the hit, sending a death glare at my opponent. 

"Hard pass," I responded darkly, striking with my own sword.  My attack didn't miss as the blade sank into the demon's midsection.  He let out a loud shout that made me flinch.  He must've been calling for his sister but she was a bit preoccupied with the other demonslayers for her to join the fight. 

Tengen inserted himself into the battle again as he cut his way through, his blade slicing a gash across the demon's arm.  He let out an animalistic snarl that made my blood curdle.  His arm came around to slice across my husband's neck as I intercepted yet again.  Only this time, the dagger caught on my skin rather than my blade. 

It was a clean cut through my chest that made me gurgle blood, throwing up everything in my stomach.  My head swam with the pain as the demon smirked victoriously, clearly pleased with his work.  It wasn't the pain that made me start to cry though but the realization that my secret would be exposed soon enough and Tengen would find out what I truly was. 

Right now though, he was blinded by burning rage as he fought the demon with vigor and hatred as I sank to the ground, clutching my chest painfully.  The cut was pretty deep and very messy, not something I could play off as a mere scratch.  It was over. 

As I toppled over onto the ground in pain and sorrow, I spotted Tanjiro jumping into the fight as well.  I wanted to be out there, to protect them both but there was something that kept me here, bleeding and dizzy as I started to pass out.  It was going to require all my energy to heal but when I woke up, I'd have to face Tengen and my exposed truth. 

~~~

"Y/n!  Please, my dear.  Please be alright."  My eyes opened slowly, head spinning as I groggily reached out for anything.  All my energy had been used to heal my injury.  My body tensed as I remembered what I had last seen, Tengen fighting like a beast, Tanjiro running towards bloodshed and my own wound regenerating on its own. 

Abruptly sitting up, my vision darkened as I whimpered at the sensation.  Everything hurt and yet when my hand reached to touch my chest, there wasn't so much as a bruise.  A gentle hand grabbed mine as my attention shifted, horror gripping me in its hold. 

Tengen crouched in front of me, one arm missing and blood coating his uniform.  The sight made tears welled in my eyes but the look of betrayal in his gaze made them fall.  He knew and now it was over.  He would leave me and I'd never feel his love again. 

Sobbing now, I wrapped my arms around myself desperately.  What I hadn't expected was a strong arm to hold me close as I cried.  I wasn't sure what he was doing but I pressed my face against Tengen's shoulder as I shakily breathed.  Soft shushing filled my ears. 

"I'm not angry, my dear.  It's going to be alright.  We're going to get through this.  I'm not leaving you," he whispered into my ear softly and lovingly.  And that was what made me cry harder, the way his voice still held so much love for me even though he knew what I was now.  I clung to him harder. 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you.  I thought you'd hate me and never love me again.  I couldn't live with that," I shakily breathed.  Tengen sighed before pulling away from me.  When I thought he had changed his mind and was going to leave me, he leaned in to kiss me gently, carefully.  I swooned at the affection, feeling shivers roll through my body as his arm held me close to him. 

"I'll always love you.  Remember, till death do we part," he whispered against my lips before kissing me again.  I loved the way he held me; it made me feel whole.  His hand moved to run through my hair as my own hands cupped his face lovingly. 

"I love you too, so much," I whispered.  I'd never be able to not love him, not ever.  He was my other half, the life to my death that gave me meaning.  With him, I felt human again.