Sabito x Reader

Thanks @tereanceaoiana for the request!
———

Striding along the trail at night probably wasn't the smartest idea but I knew I had to do this. With a sword at my waist, there was no way of stopping me track down this monster to slay it for good. Did that make me a dumbass? Yeah, probably. That wasn't going to make me turn around now though as the moonlight washed over me.

"You're going to get yourself killed. Let's just go back," Sabito frowned at me, tugging on my sleeve pleadingly. I didn't even glance at him knowing that if I did I'd easily be put under his spell. At that point I'd do whatever he said if he asked but I really wanted to do this, not just for myself but the whole town. Sabito just had to understand that at some point.

"I can't go back now that I've made it this far. The demon should be close by. I'm not throwing away this opportunity," I smiled confidently, puffing out my chest a bit pridefully. I could practically feel Sabito roll his eyes at me as his hand never released my sleeve. It was clear I wasn't going to shake him off and that honestly made me feel relieved that he wouldn't leave me alone out here. I appreciated his company with me even as I tracked a demon in the middle of the night.

"You're going to get yourself killed. Why are you really doing this?" he questioned with a serious tone. I didn't want to answer that though as I sped up my pace, Sabito falling in step beside me flawlessly. It was clear he wasn't going to let up his questions by the way his grip on my sleeve turned harsher.

I decided to stay silent as more moments passed, the forest ominous in the dark. Sabito didn't ask again, though I could feel his burning question still lingering in the air between us. Maybe I'd answer him after I had the demon's head on a silver platter, surviving had to come first if we were to get to that point.

As an official demonslayer, I was confident in my abilities with a sword but as we went deeper into the shadowed forest, I began to feel small flickers of doubt plaguing my head. I hadn't even properly fought a demon before despite earning my sword. Turns out avoiding demons was just as effective as fighting them when it came to the test.

"Did you hear that?" Sabito whispered apprehensively, sharply tugging on my sleeve to make me stop. Nervous goosebumps rose along my arms as I tried to listen intently where Sabito was pointing to the side of us in the bushes. I couldn't pick up any movement but sure enough there was a very faint chattering noise that didn't come from any animal I've ever heard before.

As the dumbass I was, I acted first before thinking of a plan, my sword in my hand in an instant as I charged with Sabito calling out for me behind me in a panic. I swung my sword down into the bush where the noise was coming from, my blade hacking straight through the leaves until it lodged into something hard. A victorious bubble of laughter slipped past my lips as I pushed the blade in deeper, a loud hissing sound reverberating through the quiet.

"Y/n, get away!" Sabito shouted from behind me, the familiar sound of his own sword being unsheathed. I looked over my shoulder at him to find his eyes wide and panicked. Smiling in triumph, I started to pull my sword out of the dead demon to make a discovery. The demon wasn't as dead as I thought it was.

A dark figure hurled itself at me as I stumbled back in surprise, something burying into my arm as I grunted at the pain that spread rapidly. The demon was on top of me, large and ugly as its jaws snapped down at me. I used my uninjured arm to raise my sword desperately, the blade catching in the monster's mouth as blood splashed onto me.

Horror and adrenaline filled my senses as I tried to roll away to no avail, the demon and I stuck in a standstill. If I tried to move away, the sword would become unlatched and the demon would be able to kill me. If it tried to attack me now though, it'd tear its own throat apart. I had nearly forgotten its claws though as the demon managed to puncture my stomach, a hiss sliding past my clenched teeth at the warm sensation traveling over my body.

Suddenly there came a loud scream that wasn't my own as the weight on me was lifted, giving me enough time to roll away without further harm. I could only manage a sitting position as my head became light and dizzy, my vision swirling as I tried to focus on what was happening. When my vision cleared enough that I could see Sabito sparring with the demon, I let out a weak shout. He was going to get himself killed against this thing and it was going to be my fault.

I eagerly tried to stand to my feet, my stare dropping to the ground as I fought to get up. Slipping more than once, I let out a long string of curses that probably would have made Sabito blush if he could hear me. No matter how hard I tried though, I couldn't manage to stand without falling halfway and all the blood I was losing was making it harder.

"You're such a dumbass," Sabito frowned down at me. My gaze snapped up to meet his, trailing over this body expecting to find a mess but there wasn't even a drop of blood on his uniform. When I didn't respond, only gaping up at him in awe, he sighed before sitting by my side. When had he killed the demon?

"How did you...? When? Sabito that was amazing," I breathed out, looking at him with wide eyes. He gave me a small smile then, his eyes shimmering as he laughed to himself softly. That was before he saw my wounds though when he frowned again in concern. I wasn't going to die, I knew that for a fact as I pulled Sabito into a tight hug that he instantly returned.

"Just no more demon hunting when you're not prepared. Can you at least promise me that?" he whispered into my ear, my body shivering as his breath tickled my skin. I held him tighter, resting my head against his shoulder as I hummed, my response to the promise. I could tell he wanted to chastise me more but he curled against me just as eagerly as I was holding him, knowing that he had plenty of time to shout at me later.