Tengen x Reader

Thanks @My_Bi_Romantic_Panic for the request!
———

"I knew you'd come back for more. Was one round not good enough?" I cooed, lounging back further in my crumbling throne. Tengen chuckled to himself, seemingly always amused with me. He shook his head slightly as his hand rested on the hilt of his sword along his hip. I noticed the way he didn't try to unsheath the weapon in my presence and it brought me a sense of pride. He wouldn't dare attack me in my own domain. Not after what we've been going through.

"I wouldn't flatter yourself too much. You only lasted so long in our last duel because you decided to poison me beforehand. That trick won't work again the next time," Tengen mused with a small smirk. It was clear he wasn't going to start anything as he strode closer to me with the kind of confidence that only came from complacency. He should know better than to feel that way around his enemy, a demon, no less. It was amusing though.

I adjusted myself in my throne, my eyes never once leaving his body. Instead I scanned him from the top of his head to his shoes, taking in every heartbreakingly beautiful detail about him. It was stupid that I even allowed myself this little indulgence but after several other encounters, it felt earned and I wasn't one to punish myself by looking away.

Tengen must've noticed my excessive staring as he cleared his throat for my eyes to lift up to his. His smirk only widened before he stalked closer to me.

"Now what is that expression for?" Tengen stared down at me, a hint of challenge in his eyes. I spread my legs a bit further apart in my own power move, manspreading to the max as I rested my chin in the palm of my hand. He raised an eyebrow in interest but didn't say anything else. It felt like a win in my book that I had impressed him in some way. He was someone worth impressing after all.

"I was just deliberating whether I should kill you for coming here or ask what you think you're doing first," I shrugged. Tengen only laughed it off, sitting himself on the arm of my throne. I wasn't even irritated with his comfort. I found myself leaning closer to him, looking up into his eyes as if he was the royalty here, as if he ruled this space just by being in it.

"I came here for your help actually," Tengen whispered, all hints of teasing and playfulness gone. His whole demeanor shifted to the attitude of a loyal demonslayer. The switch was surprising to say the least and I found myself disappointed with this no nonsense version of Tengen. I was so used to the side of him that made me wish I wasn't a demon, that filled my head with useless fantasies.

I abruptly stood from my throne, briskly walking away from him with a frown. I didn't want to hear what he had to say, it would be pointless for him to even beg for my assistance for anything that had to do with his corp. Maybe he was forgetting what I really was. A demon helping demonslayers was traitorous and nonsensical. How dare he ask something like that of me.

"Well you've come here in vain. I'm not helping you in any way," I grumbled. I heard Tengen's confident footsteps behind me as I strode around my crumbling abandoned castle. This place was supposed to be somewhere where I could hide away from the war of my kind in the outside world. It couldn't shelter me from everything though considering I've already fought with Tengen after he first came across this hidden place. Now he had the audacity to come back for my help.

"Y/n, this is serious and it could benefit you. You would be protected by the demonslayer corp so that no humans or demons can mess with you. It would be exactly what you want," Tengen pointed out as he fell in step beside me. A flare of anger curled up inside me as I whirled around to face him. He merely looked back at me calmly. I wanted to remind him that I was a demon, that I could kill him where he stood. We both needed a reminder that there was a difference between us.

"You don't know what I want. Maybe I want to stay here and wait for stupid, prideful demonslayers to waltz in so that I have dinner for the next few weeks," I hissed, wanting to lunge for his throat. When he smiled softly at me, I felt myself startle. I was used to the teasing smirks and eyebrow raises but seeing the warmth in his expression now had me longing for a different life. It was only a second of fantasizing but I wanted it so bad. I wanted to be human, to be around Tengen more. To be able to express these small flutters of feelings.

"I want to look out for you. I get you're not used to that but I know that you want to feel protected from everyone. This is the best way to do that while making the best of your abilities," Tengen explained gently. His hands raised to grasp my shoulders softly, my mind blanking at the contact. It was insane the switch that was flipped in my brain. I was ready to leave behind my beautiful, crumbling castle, my protection, my space to run off with Tengen into the unknown surrounded by people who have dedicated their lives to killing my kind.

"You must be insane to think that I would accept that offer," I whispered quietly, averting my gaze from his. One of his hands adjusted to cup my face, his fingers warm on my cold skin. This must've been manipulation but I found that I didn't mind it.

"And you're insane to even be considering it but here you are. I already know your answer, y/n," he smiled, pulling his hands away before walking off. I hesitated for only a moment, following him as he led me through my territory. A loyal servant to his new king.