Mitsuri x Reader

Thanks @KnyJimmy for the request!
———

"Did you hear of the legends around this area?"

"Monsters aren't real, you idiots."

"So you're saying you're not freaked out even a little?"

"I don't mess around with demons and spirits, I'll tell you that."

My squad went back and forth, ranging from demons to cannibals and back again. There wasn't much I could do but listen to their fairytales and myths with barely restrained amusement. It wasn't until they started bickering that I thought to step in. We didn't necessarily need to stay vigilant right now since we weren't on official patrol yet but I was getting tired of the noise.

"Demons aren't real. What are you all, three years old again? Need me to hold your hand out in the forest and watch you because it's getting dark?" I sneered mockingly. There were a couple of jeers and grumbles from my squad as they all dropped the demon subject pretty quickly. They were just old wives' tales meant to scare small children and troublemakers. We had a job here that didn't involve the supernatural and I needed my squad mates to be focused.

"You're such a buzzkill. You couldn't let us play pretend a bit longer," one of them mumbled. I scoffed at that, launching myself at the soldier as we wrestled around playfully. He ended up crying mercy as I dragged him into a headlock, the other soldiers laughing their asses off as cheers erupted all around.

It wasn't until late into the night when we all calmed down, taking shifts to sleep as the others patrolled. Our mission wasn't supposed to be much. It was just a strategic move to push the front lines a bit farther in case of intruders. There were rumors of some soldiers turning up dead but I doubted it was a demon but rather an enemy threatening war. Oh, how wrong I was then.

~~~

Blood coated my hands as I looked at the bodies of my comrades scattered across the ground in gory pieces. I could barely recognize some of them with how mangled they were, some not even there but who clearly didn't make it by the bloody trail of human matter that was left behind.

Sinking to my knees, I cradled the head of one of my dear friends, tears streaming down my face as I became numb. I had done all of my screaming but it hadn't brought them back. They were all dead now, my entire squad and there was only one answer to this horrible massacre. Demons were real and it had taken the lives of my whole squad for me to realize.

There was nothing I could do now. I was helpless. It wouldn't be until a year later when I became so fueled by revenge that I would seek out a demonslayer, training to become one of them to ensure the justice that had to be served. I wouldn't let my squad members die in vain, their sacrifice would mean something along with the death of their murderer.

~~~

"Are you awake? It's already dusk," a familiar voice called out to me as my shoulders were gently shaken. Peeking one of my eyes open, I squinted at Mitsuri to find concern written all over her face. She was biting her lip anxiously, stare soft and pleading as if I was worrying her just by sleeping in a bit later.

"What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost," I grumbled, shouldering her hands off me as I pulled my blanket higher over my body. She only sat by my side, pulling the blanket back down. This time I opened both my eyes to glare at her but she only frowned back somewhat sadly. Groaning, I sat up as well to drop my head in my hands tiredly.

"You were muttering in your sleep again. Was it the same nightmare? Do you want to take the night off?" she whispered softly, fiddling with her fingers nervously. I knew exactly what she meant and it both hurt and made me feel thankful for her care. Sighing, I felt my chest constrict painfully at the memories of losing my squad. It's been years but it was still painful. I didn't exactly want to talk about it though as I stood up, wobbling a bit before moving to throw on my haori and sword sheath.

I felt Mitsuri's eyes glued on me as if she had more to say but didn't want to overwhelm me. If we had a mission to do, I'd do it. I wasn't going to take the whole night off over a nightmare, no matter how painful. There were still people that needed to be protected now because I couldn't protect the people I cared about all those years ago.

"I'll be fine. Let's just go," I mumbled quietly, fastening my belt before moving towards the door. Mitsuri got there first though as she blocked my exit with an apologetic frown. I was almost tempted to shove my way past her but I was gentlemanly enough to keep my manners as I glared at her again. Tonight didn't feel like the time to mess with me but that was the thing with Mitsuri, she never gave up on me.

"We don't have to go. It's just an exchange of information that we can easily send a bird for. Maybe we should stay and rest," she offered instead, shrugging nonchalantly as if she didn't sound desperate for a way out of the mission. I knew she wasn't doing it to be selfish by the way she kept glancing at me with so much concern and attention. It made me feel cared for in a way that I hadn't felt from anyone since before that fateful day years ago. The thought brought a fresh wave of pain.

"Please. Let me do this for you. We've come too far together to keep our emotions secret now. You can let me know when you're not up to a task," she whispered consolingly, her hand moving to gently hold my arm. The contact made me shiver, a wave of exhaustion crashing into me as my emotions felt like spiraling. Why was it so damn tiring to carry these feelings?

"What did I do to deserve your attention? I appreciate it," I mumbled sadly, letting Mitsuri guide me away from the door back to bed. I figured she might tuck me back in and leave but instead she eased me down before crawling in beside me. I didn't even flinch as I turned to my side to feel her arms hold me close. When her fingers began to run through my hair tenderly, I let out a sigh of appreciation. If anyone could take away my pain for even a moment, it was her.