Tanjiro x Reader

Thanks @sakusashairytoes for the request!
———

I never thought I'd see the day that I wouldn't be bitter.  If I've learned one lesson from this horrible world is that everything good and kind in it dies quickly.  I lost my family and friends long ago in a mysterious fire that left only me as a survivor.  When the townspeople of the village next door took me in, they did so begrudgingly.  To them all, I was a devil incarnate that had started the fire and wasn't affected by hell's flames. 

With nowhere else left to go at such a young age though, I was stuck to endure years of neglect and loud whispers behind my back.  I suppose that could've been what made me so negative nowadays.  I had everyone I loved taken away and then if I didn't feel survivor's guilt enough, I had people tell me everyday that it was my fault.  I learned that humans could be cruel and merciless when their fear guided them.  Even though I hated them for it though, I didn't blame their superstition.  I never fought back against the physical bullies and didn't respond to the taunts and accusations.  I kept quiet until I was old enough to finally escape a nice town that had the curse of my presence to suffer. 

Along my new journey, I've witnessed all kinds of atrocities.  Some were caused by humans but the worst were caused by demons.  When I had first stumbled across one of the unfortunates as I called them, I didn't feel afraid but some dark bitterness.  The demon had obviously had a fresh kill and had looked at me like its next meal.  With a skilled hand and a hunting knife, I had made quick work of the beast but part of the encounter had permanently changed me.  After all, demons were once humans.  They had just lost the light. 

Traipsing along into the forest, I was slowly becoming overwhelmed by my constant apathy and bitterness.  Nothing excited me and I always felt some sort of disappointment when I met people.  Everyone was greedy and self centered.  Anyone could become a demon with hearts like that, even without a bite.  Hell, I might've already been one with how I felt towards my own species.  It was overall depressing and I was sure all of my hope for a brighter future had died.  That was before I stumbled across Tanjiro. 

I had heard distant screams that grabbed my attention and decided I had nothing better to do than follow the noise of distress.  I was disappointed to find two guys fighting each other.  Well...one of them was beating the life out of the other who clung to a box while a few kids cried nearby at the sight.  It further proved my disappointment in humanity.  I had taken a single step towards the scuffling boys when someone else beat me to it. 

It all happened so fast, I couldn't even really process it till later.  Someone had shouted out before barreling into the two of them, the guy with a boar head on him turning his attention to the new warrior who looked terribly concerned as well as exhausted.  They seemed pretty entertaining as the boar head boy charged at the scarred guy who seemed to be trying to get him to stop. 

Deciding to stick around and watch, I walked over to the crying children to crouch down beside them.  Resting my hands on both of their heads gently, I watched the two guys fight and deflect each other's strikes as the third blonde boy sank to the ground from his injuries.  My eyes were drawn to the guy with scarring on his forehead.  He was fast and yet still yelling out for his attacker to stop.  When he collided his forehead with the boar head's face, I was sure they would both pass out.  Instead the wilder of the two hit the ground eventually, passed out cold as the victorious guy frowned down at him before his gaze flickered to me intensely. 

"Oh, hello there!  Sorry you had to see me like that with a friend!  I'm Tanjiro," the boy smiled widely as if he hadn't just knocked out his so-called friend in cold blood.  So far he had gained my respect through his actions.  He hadn't been vicious or rude, even giving his attacker a chance to back out while also defending others.  He was exactly the hope I needed in people. 

"I'm y/n and was just passing through.  Don't mind me much, it's better if I leave now," I sighed, standing up and flashing a hint of a smile towards the small children who looked at me with wide eyes.  Tanjiro cocked his head to the side as if confused that I would leave them so soon.  It wasn't like I was looking for friends or people to care for.  He stepped closer to me though, smiling at me in a way that made my face warm despite my usual negativity. 

"What do you mean better?  From the looks of it, you don't seem to have a destination in mind.  I'm not saying you should join my friends and I but could you help me carry out the dead from that house please?" Tanjiro pleaded, looking at me with wide eyes that I could never turn down even though we just met.  Relenting, I nodded before following him into the abandoned looking manor where bodies waited to be moved and buried.  This guy even cared about those who have already died and it only made me curious about him more. 

Little did I know I'd end up being moved by his gentleness and kindness, moved enough to join him and his obnoxious friends.  He would lead me down my journey of becoming a demonslayer and would even help me see the joys in life.  Little did he know though that he would become that main joy in life.