Muzan x Reader

Thanks @PansexualPancake01 for the request!
———
‼️slight emotional damage‼️
———

Muzan POV

He made me feel human. I have many different faces I wear, many different identities to hide behind and one of them included a manipulated relationship with y/n. He was only supposed to be yet another cover to hide behind but my silly heart had started getting in the way that first time he reached out to hold my hand. I had never felt so warmed by someone before, as if he had brought life back into my dead body with only a touch.

From then on, I found myself being drawn back to him despite my usual routine of switching between identities. I felt desperate to be by him, wanting him to touch my hand again even if only for a moment. He made me feel alive and warm and cared for, all of which were impossible for a demon like me but it felt so real that I couldn't help imagining a different life when I was with him. A life where this wasn't a fabricated lie to hide my true self. He was making me weak but I didn't care. Not when I felt real happiness around him, real emotions that thrummed in my chest like a mock heartbeat. I loved him and there was nothing in this world that could stop it, not even me.

~~~

"Who's there? Oh! Muzan, come in," y/n's voice cheerfully chirped when he opened his door. I took a moment to just breathe as I looked at him. He was beautiful and kind, someone deserving of the world and yet stuck in this tiny house in this tiny village with only the love of a demon. It made me feel guilty sometimes that I led him on like this. I'd have to tell him one day anyways, or leave him behind wondering why I had left him. But not tonight. Tonight would be another day of pretending and lying.

"I thought I'd stop by to see you," I cooed, smiling warmly in a way I never did before I met him. He seemed to instantly brighten even more as he gestured me inside, closing the door behind him. He would never know that he just invited a demon inside his home. The thought hit me out of nowhere and I couldn't help slightly cringing at it. Y/n picked up on my millisecond wince before his hand rested on my arm pleasantly.

"You alright? Is there more to this visit than just stopping by?" he questioned quietly. His eyes were wide in understanding with an openness that was on the borderline of naivety. It was a look that made me soften up. I hated and loved it all at the same time. I sighed, my hand moving to pat his that was on my arm.

"Your sweetness knows no bounds, does it?" Y/n looked away a bit shyly, one little compliment getting to him. It was endearing but also painful. I was going to miss this one day. But I knew I wouldn't forget him and I wanted to create as many memories with him that I would feel pain over later.

"I just want to spend time with you," I whispered. Y/n smiled at me fondly. No one has ever looked at me so innocently, so free of fear. My hand lifted to cup his face tenderly. He leaned into the contact with a hum, his eyes closing sweetly. It was enough to make warmth blossom through my cold body.

"You truly are a wonder," I whispered, my thumb softly tracing his cheek. I leaned in, kissing his forehead as he laughed gently. It was too much. This feeling curling in my chest was too much for me to bear. I almost wanted to turn him into a demon right then to hold him forever. But I was starting to realize I cared too much about him to give him this life.

"Your hand is cold," he whispered affectionately, his hand lifting to touch mine that was still cupping his face. His skin was warm and soft. I sighed in content, leaning down to kiss him as gently as I could. It was hard not to when y/n hummed so sweetly against my lips. I only ever wanted to keep him close and keep him safe. But it was impossible to do both of those.

~~~

Y/n POV

I knew something was wrong the moment I saw him on my doorstep, unannounced and with a pained look on his face. I should've known then that it would come to this as I lay in my bed, looking around to find Muzan gone with only an envelope by my side. He had been in my arms the night before when he had showered me with so much affection and love. Like he was giving me a lifetime's worth of his attention to make up for this moment.

A tear slipped down my face as I leaned over to grab the envelope. I knew what it would say before I even opened it. He wasn't coming back to me. Last night was his way of saying goodbye. I didn't want to cry over him. I didn't want to let this pain dictate the rest of my life.

I didn't open the letter as I stood up from bed, my shaky legs threatening to give out as I placed the unopened envelope on my dresser. I didn't want to read whatever sorry excuse he had come up with to push me away. I loved him and I knew from last night that he had loved me. Whatever pain he wanted to bring to himself by leaving, I refused to let bother me. The best thing I could do was keep moving and try to forget.

But standing in this room and looking at my bed, my arms wrapping around myself as my fingers skimmed over the places he had held me...I realized forgetting him was going to be one of the hardest things I'd do in this life.

I guess a part of me was thankful he didn't tell me goodbye and just left. I wouldn't have been able to let him go and it only would've hurt more to see his expression he must've been wearing when he looked at me, knowing he'd never see me again before he walked out of my life, cutting me out of his. I never opened his letter. I didn't want to see his goodbye.