Sanemi x Reader (Part 1)

Thanks @Albxnn for the request!
———

Sanemi POV

I glowered at the quiet male, wondering when he'd glance my way and find me glaring at him with such intensity he'd be surprised he hadn't caught on fire. He didn't look my way even once through the whole meeting, only nodding along to Ubuyashiki as he most likely dialed away all information for later use. He was smart that way and it bugged the hell out of me.

The meeting didn't take long but the whole time my eyes were glued to y/n as my mind reeled with all the ways I hated him. He kept to himself as if he couldn't be bothered with the rest of us. It was no secret that he was far smarter and more cunning than the rest of us, especially in the way he kept himself separate. He was probably looking down on me around every turn. If he would actually look at me, I just knew his expression would be full of disdain.

"Oh fuck you," I muttered under my breath at the thought. It wasn't exactly the right moment to say anything though as the other hashira turned their attention on me. Ubuyashiki even tilted his head in my direction, cutting off his statement as silence washed through the room. When I looked around, I saw y/n staring at me with curiosity in his eyes.

"Is there something you'd like to add, Sanemi? Perhaps a detail I might've missed," Ubuyashiki smiled softly at me. He could most likely feel my anger and irritation rolling off of me but he still held so much patience for me I couldn't bring myself to stay too mad. Averting my eyes to the ground, I dialed back my hatred enough to clear my head and realize that this wasn't the place.

"No, I'm sorry," I mumbled quietly, bowing my head in apology. Ubuyashiki gave me a single appreciative nod before going back to his point. After a few moments of cooling off and reigning my anger back in to a containable amount, I happened to glance at y/n. He was still staring at me with those wide eyes of his as if he hadn't realized I was even in the room before and was shocked to see I existed. The haughty self absorbed asshole.

After making sure no one else was watching, I glared at y/n like I'd been waiting to do at the very beginning. He didn't even blink or tear his gaze away from mine. In fact, he started to smile. It was a soft grin that twitched at the corners of his lips, simultaneously reaching his eyes that now shone a bit brighter. The sight caught me by surprise as I felt my glare shift into a confused stare.

Despite how I had felt only moments before, I felt my face heating up at the strange attention he was giving me. I don't think I'd ever even seen him smile and now he was giving me the shy grin of someone who was used to sharing secret glances and longing thoughts with. It set off a new burning feeling in my chest and I was surprised to find it wasn't anger or hatred causing a light blush to spread across my face.

Averting my own gaze for the sake of my pride, I felt his own stare linger a few moments afterwards until Ubuyashiki dismissed all of us. I was quick to stand and turn away before anyone could address me. To save any ounce of dignity I had left, I had to make it out of here before y/n found me. He'd probably laugh at me in a cocky way or turn his nose up in disapproval. Perhaps I was more nervous of what he'd tell me that wasn't an insult that made me want to run away until I could get his soft smile out of my head.

~~~

The rest of the day was spent working out the strange feelings through swinging my sword at straw dummies. I couldn't handle this new ferocity inside my chest that increased whenever I remembered what happened earlier that day with y/n. It had only been a few seconds at most and yet it was plaguing my mind like a nightmare I couldn't seem to forget.

Slashing another dummy with my blade, straw was sent flying as I sneered. This could've all been an elaborate trap set up by him that would end with me making a fool of myself. He was certainly smart enough to manipulate my emotions enough to create a false feeling of attraction towards him. Why would he target me though other than pure hatred?

Somehow the idea of him hating me felt so much easier to deal with than anything else. I was used to people not enjoying my presence and company. It'd be a surprise if anyone felt otherwise, especially y/n who I was so sure I hated until this morning when he flashed me that tender smile of his. I couldn't help the way my heartbeat picked up at the fresh memory of his lips curving pleasantly into a shy grin.

"Are you alright?" a soft voice called out nearby. I felt my body tense, my sword nearly dropping out of my grip before I tightened my hold on it. Swiveling in the direction of the voice, I felt my face erupt in heat at the sight of y/n standing a bit nervously at the edge of the training space...right under the cherry blossom which cast him in a beautiful light.

"I'm fine. What the hell do you want?" I huffed out, trying to ignore the way some of the flower petals caught in his hair. A traitorous part of me wanted to walk over and gently remove each petal from every soft strand of hair. Maybe he'd even give me the same careful smile he had earlier. Maybe I was losing my mind.

"You seemed angry this morning and I spent most of the day looking for you but couldn't find you anywhere. I just wanted to make sure you were alright," he quietly mumbled, his hand lifting as he adjusted his haori nervously. I watched him in fascination, shocked that he had suddenly realized I even existed in the span of a few short hours. He didn't seem to be wanting to push me away though like I had expected. In fact he wasn't anywhere near as self absorbed and haughty as I had expected from him.

"Oh. I'm fine. Just taking out some anger is all," I shrugged causally, looking away from him in an attempt to hide my growing blush. He either didn't notice or didn't address it as he hummed in acknowledgement, his stare focused on me in the same curious way it had been earlier. The attention sent chills along my arms.

"Is it alright if I stay and watch you? I don't think I've even seen your breathing style," he quietly asked, fiddling with a fold in his haori bashfully. My gaze turned back to him, watching him intently and looking for any movement or sign of trickery. All there was in his expression was nervousness and fascination as he looked back with shining eyes. How did I even manage to hate him before?

"Yeah. Sure. Just stay over there so I don't hit you," I warned once before turning back to the few remaining straw dummies. Right before I swung my sword, I glanced over my shoulder to see if he had truly stayed to find him sitting under the cherry blossom tree. Petals spun through the air around him, showering him in beauty. The sight was almost enough to make me drop my blade.