Tanjiro x Reader (Part 1)

Thanks @yyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu for the request!
———————————————————————

Kneeling before Ubuyashiki, I felt myself become fidgety. There were an assortment of demon slayers flanked on both of my sides who were also kneeling. I shouldn't have been nervous considering I've already been on plenty of missions but I never seem to get used to this part.

"Tanjiro, I'd like you to accompany y/n for this task. You two are set to leave by sundown," our leader stated in his usual soft manner. My face erupted in heat as the other demonslayers were excused, leaving behind Tanjiro and I.

My partner brushed up next to me, his arm bumping mine and making me squirm in sudden bashfulness. Out of all the eligible people to go, it had to be the one that made me the most flustered. I didn't dare look at Tanjiro's wide eyes but I knew his stare was focused on me.

"We've got this y/n! I know we can do it," he cheerily proclaimed. Sliding my panicked gaze to him, I smiled nervously. He was just too cute and energetic, with his sweet grin I knew I was doomed. I'd die from a heart attack before a demon could get their hands on me.

"Right," I mumbled quietly, averting my gaze again. Standing from the ground, I brushed off my haori to keep my hands busy. Tanjiro launched up onto his feet by my side and flashed me a confident smile that made me sway a bit unsteady. This was going to be a long trip.

~~~

It didn't take me long to gather my supplies considering I was prepared for anything already. I double checked to ensure I had everything before steeling my nerves for a trip spent with the one person I couldn't compose myself around. It wasn't going to be easy but I didn't have much of a choice.

Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I walked to the trail where I waited for my partner. It was still a bit early but sundown was approaching fast. A sudden thought of leaving without him crossed my mind before I instantly shut it down. The last thing I wanted was to make Tanjiro worry.

"You're here already? That's amazing that you got ready so quickly," a cheery voice called out by my side. My shoulders tensed as I turned to stare at the gorgeous boy walking to me. His dark hair fell around his face, eyes shimmering and scar visible though it didn't mar his beauty in any way.

My heart began to beat rapidly at the mere sight of him. How could someone be so perfect? I haven't even seen him angry before, he's always composed unlike me. Even now, I felt myself falling apart as Tanjiro stopped in front of me to stare into my eyes.

"Hey, are you alright? You look nervous," he questioned with a tilt of his head. The movement was too cute, like a puppy hearing a whistle for the first time. It filled my chest with warmth but I could never tell him that. Instead, I turned towards the path to begin our journey.

"I'm fine," I shakily responded. Tanjiro eagerly fell into step by my side, close enough that made me hyper aware of his presence. He didn't push me any further and a comfortable silence quickly enveloped us.

It took several minutes before I allowed myself to breathe normally again. A sigh slid past my lips at the peacefulness that soothed me. With the dying sunlight filtering through the trees, it was easy for my mind to wander away.

It wasn't until something brushed my arm that I jolted out of my daze. My eyes snapped to where Tanjiro had bumped into me, my face heating up and my breathing quickening. He looked at me apologetically, his eyes still as shimmery as ever.

"Sorry, I stepped on a rock. Are you alright though? Did I hurt you?" he frowned in concern. My heart sped up at the care in his tone. It didn't help my situation at all. He was just too kind and gentle for my poor heart to handle.

"I'm alright," I whispered in a quivery voice. His eyes widened before he halted. His hand gently grabbed mine to stop me as well. The contact sent static to my brain. Everything became a blur except where our hands were interlocked.

"Are you sure? You look terrified," he asked tenderly. Closing my eyes, I tried to slow my breathing. His skin was smooth and warm against mine which made it hard to collect my thoughts. My heart was beating rapidly, far too fast to be healthy. "Y/n?"

"Everything is fine," I assured him quietly, pulling my hand gently from his. I began to walk again as Tanjiro followed me. To my relief and disappointment, he now stepped a bit farther to give me space. I just hoped I didn't hurt his feelings or offend him in any way.

My fingers began to twitch by my sides at how awful this has been and it hasn't even been an hour yet. We still had plenty of distance to cover before we were even at our destination, if things weren't cleared up now it would only hurt both of us later on. I didn't want there to be any misunderstandings.

"Ever since I joined the demonslayers, I've wanted to be as strong as you." My head whirled to look at Tanjiro with my mouth open in shock. His confession came out of nowhere and filled me with a strong sense of pride along with bashfulness. I didn't see myself as a guy that someone like Tanjiro would want to be and it surprised me.

"Why? You're pretty much perfect," I pointed out before slapping a hand over my mouth at the realization of what I had said. Tanjiro chuckled, stepping a bit closer to me as a wide smile settled on his face. He looked at me in admiration that sent my whole body ablaze in embarrassment.

"I've always seen you as perfect. You're strong and gentle with a kind heart. I love being around you but I wonder if I make you uncomfortable," he mumbled. He almost seemed shy himself and it made me shocked all over again. I couldn't help the smile that pulled at my lips and the tears that pricked at my eyes.

"I get really flustered when I'm around you. I'm not exactly sure why but I love being around you too even if it doesn't seem like it at times," I whispered. Tanjiro let out a small chuckle that made me laugh softly as well. Saying it out loud seemed scary but now that it was out there, I felt my shoulders untense for the first time in an hour.

His hand slowly found mine, our fingers intertwining as my face warmed. Tanjiro looked at me with a soft expression that made my heart melt. I didn't look away this time though, staring back at him with my own affectionate gaze.

"If you do get uncomfortable then let me know," he quietly stated, our arms swinging in between us as our shoulders brushed every few steps. I wasn't sure what this meant but my chest was swirling with strong emotions. Wishing with all my might, I desperately hoped that this was the start of something beautiful.