Douma x Reader

Altered from alternate request
———

Skillfully and quietly, I snuck out the window of the boarding house without making a sound.  I left the other unfortunates sleeping inside, unknowing of where I was going.  It was best to keep it that way for as long as possible or my paradise would burn in hellfire. 

The moonlight high above cast the ground in dancing shadows as the breeze rocked the trees back and forth in a swaying dance.  The night air was cold but I didn't feel the sting of it yet as adrenaline pumped through my veins.  Perhaps it was the familiarity of it all or the person waiting for me at the end that had caused my fear to die out so long ago. 

With excitement bubbling through me, I sprinted through the forest along a trail only I knew.  My robes flowed around me like water as I navigated through the maze of trees towards our usual meet up spot.  In my hand, clutched tight, was a pendant I had been gifted for moments like this.  He'll be happy to see me with it.  He'd given it to me claiming it would protect me against others that meant to harm me. 

The familiar clearing came up just ahead as I slowed to a creeping pace.  Focusing on the shadows of the trees, I tried to spot my company before he saw me.  There were times when I was lucky enough to take a moment to admire his beauty if he didn't see me beforehand.  This luckily was one of those times. 

He stood in the moonlight, gorgeous as ever with his head tilted back to look at the night sky.  His shimmering eyes were nearly translucent as they reflected the moonlight.  My eyes traced along his features in admiration, greedily drinking him in before walking into the field to make myself known. 

"Have you thought about my offer?" Douma questioned quietly, not even glancing at me like he could sense my presence.  I cringed slightly at the reminder of the choices he had presented me the last time we were face to face.  It was an interesting and impossible thing to offer me but I also knew he wasn't lying when he said he would make me immortal if I wished for it. 

"Yeah, I've thought about it and I have to politely decline," I softly replied, stepping closer to stand by his side.  Looking up at the sky, I understood why he was staring so longingly at it.  Stars freckled the darkness where the moonlight ring didn't reach.  It was enchanting, enough to draw someone into a trance. 

"Most people would jump at this chance.  May I ask what your reasoning is?" he asked with a confused tone in his voice.  At first, I would've taken the opportunity too but I thought it over.  I'd be giving up a lot for a lot of gain as well but there were a few things I wouldn't be able to let go of. 

"I don't think I'm ready to give up being human yet.  Immortality sounds so lonely," I whispered.  Tilting my head to look at Douma, I found him already staring at me.  His eyes were dull and held so much sadness in them, it made me sorrowful just seeing his pain.  Years and years of solitude were caught in his colorful irises. 

"It is," he mumbled sadly.  Regret curled in my stomach at his disappointment.  I didn't want to let him down but this decision didn't feel fair.  I've only known Douma for a few weeks after crossing paths with him one night, a night that changed my life.  As much as I have started to care for him, I couldn't let go of my humanity to become a demon.  Not yet. 

"I didn't mean to disappoint you but this is a lot of pressure," I admitted nervously.  My grip on the pendant in my hand tightened as I frowned.  This wasn't how I wanted this all to play out at all.  I never suspected this strange wave of guilt and longing to wash through me. 

A gentle touch to my wrist made me look back at Douma in surprise.  He was staring at the gift he had given me many days ago with a soft smile.  The sight made my heartbeat pick up rapidly.  He truly was beautiful but to see him smile like that made me incredibly bashful. 

"I'll wait until you're ready.  When you choose this, I want you to really want it," he softly whispered, moving his hand to hold mine with the pendant pressing against our palms.  My face warmed at the contact and promise of his patience.  When his gentle gaze met mine, I nearly swooned.  "Until then, never leave at night without the pendant." 

I nodded in understanding.  The purpose of his gift was to keep me safe from others like him, demons who would feed on humans like me.  Douma had given me the pendant with a symbol etched into its surface that was a warning to other demons to stay away.  I was under his protection and I was entirely grateful. 

"One day, Douma.  I swear to you, I'll be ready one day to join you for eternity," I whispered lovingly.  His smile was sad but nonetheless he leaned in to press a kiss against my forehead that left me flustered and warm.  He chuckled softly, his other hand reaching up to cup my face before pushing our heads together gently. 

"I'm counting on it."