Sabito x Reader

I had loved him.  Loved him more than anyone, more than anything, loved him higher than the stars.  He was my life and purpose, true happiness in the form of a person.  So why did he have to go?  Why did Tomioka return with only his haori?  Why did I have to hear how he had been taken away from me?  Why did I have to endure the dread and hopelessness that plagued my body like a deadly disease, causing me to fall to my knees and never wish to stand again?  In what world was his death justified? 

He had been the only light that woke me every morning to not be late to our training.  It was him that made sure I had eaten all of my food and never skipped a meal.  It was him that led me through the trails of the mountain with that beautiful smile of his.  He had been the one I confessed to in the end with a fast beating heart and burning face.  He had been the one to say yes. 

It didn't matter though, did it?  Not when he had insisted on leaving, promising to return as I begged him to stay.  Even then there had been a curling sense of anxiety that only heightened with each passing day without him.  If only I knew that saying goodbye then meant a existence without him.  Sabito, my forever love even through death.

~~~

Waking up was the easy part but getting out of bed was where I struggled.  The warmth of the blankets was so soothing and the outside world was so cold, I just couldn't find the motivation.  Why would I bother getting up to go train yet again?  I didn't even want to be a demonslayer in the first place. 

"Rise and shine!"  The soft voice made me shiver involuntarily, a smile instantly on my face despite my attempts at hiding it.  The dip of the mattress behind me alerted me that Sabito planned on dragging me out of bed if he had to. 

"Time to get up," he whispered, pulling softly at the blankets over my body.  I grunted, trying to grab the covers back over my head.  Sabito let out a small chuckle that made my chest clench longingly in response, my grip on the blankets loosening for only a moment.  That second of falter was enough for him to completely yank off the covers. 

"I'm not leaving this bed," I grumbled, arms crossing over my body in an attempt to keep myself warm.  Sabito chuckled again before his arms wrapped around my body from behind.  His chest was pushed against my back as I let out a surprised gasp.  Warmth instantly spread back into my body from the contact as well as my brief bashfulness. 

"C'mon, it's my last day with you," he mumbled quietly into my back.  I felt my shoulders tense but it felt so far away.  Everything started to fade as I remembered what today was.  It felt too soon for him to leave but the day had finally arrived. 

I shifted my body, turning around to stare at Sabito's gentle expression.  He didn't look afraid like I was, instead slightly saddened.  My arms found their way around his waist as I pulled him close, pushing my face against his neck.  It was way too soon. 

"Are you sure you want to do this?  You know you don't have to.  Urokodaki won't be mad for long," I whispered pitifully.  It was useless to try to talk him out of it considering he has had his mind made up for so long now but I had to try.  Sabito let out a sigh, his hands moving to cup my face gently. 

"We've talked about this.  When I come back we'll head out together to work at the demonslayer headquarters where you can continue your studies in medicine and I'll be there when I'm not on missions.  Everything will work out," he sighed dreamily, one hand moving to run through my hair.  I couldn't help but feel a little better hearing him talk so fondly of our future together.  It made it hard for my thoughts to overcome my emotions. 

I let out a relieving sigh, moving my face closer to his with a small smile.  He took the hint with an eye roll, pulling me closer as he gently pushed his lips to mine.  I hummed happily into the kiss, Sabito shivering at the sensation as I held him close.  It felt like heaven to feel him against me. 

"I can't wait for our future together," I whispered against his lips.  He nodded his head, at a loss for words as I pushed closer again.  I really hoped this meant we wouldn't have to get out of bed anytime soon. 

If only I had known then what was written in the stars where Sabito would eventually reside.  He wouldn't grow old with me, wouldn't join me as I continued my medicinal studies.  And now every time I thought of the future, I cried in grief for my forever lover and the memories we would never be able to make.