Kanae x Reader

Thanks @altea7832 for the request!
———

Watching her was like watching a beautiful deer gracefully bounding through a meadow. You couldn't tear your eyes away, still in awe even when she was gone. Her beauty was imprinted in my memory for as long as I lived, never able to escape the way she looked my way or smiled warmly to even those who didn't deserve it. I wanted nothing more than to shower her with my love and affection if she would just let me.

"Kanae! You're looking absolutely lovely today! It's nice to see you as well Shinobu," I cheerfully called out, bowing before the two sisters respectfully. Shinobu bashfully waved at me as Kanae shook her head in amusement, fixing her warm smile on me that surely met her shimmering eyes. This was definitely the girl I wanted to dedicate myself to, at any cost.

"Good morning y/n. I already know what you're here for and the answer is still wait. Don't think winning my hand is so easy," Kanae smiled gently. I was a bit disappointed but not surprised by her answer. I've only been asking her for a courtship for a few days now but she was adamant on waiting. I didn't want to pressure her into anything, promising to stop after a week of asking and trying to win her over. After that, I'd leave her alone without any more words about it.

"Of course! I just wanted to bring both you and Shinobu some flowers that reminded me of you. They're known for attracting butterflies," I claimed, retrieving the bundle of flowers from inside my haori to hand some to Shinobu before handing the rest to her wonderful older sister who gave me a knowing stare. The younger of the two blushed at the purple flowers in her hands. If I ever wanted a chance with Kanae then I also had to make sure her little sister was included as well, to show I cared for everything she did.

"These are quite beautiful. Thank you y/n," Shinobu whispered softly, glancing at her sister with an encouraging nod. The truth was that Shinobu and I were close friends and she assured me that she'd put in a good word for me to her sister for a possible courtship. I would protect both of them and provide anything they needed from me if it meant eventually marrying Kanae in the future.

"I appreciate this, y/n. You really are sweet and considerate," Kanae gently stated, bringing the flowers up to her face to smell the sweet scent from the bouquet. On cue, a butterfly fluttered close by before landing on one of the petals, flapping its wings cheerily as if saying hi to Kanae. Even the insects knew she was someone to appreciate and love.

"I don't want to force you into anything but I hope you'll at least think over this courtship. You could even start it and back out at any point you're not comfortable or satisfied. I'm just asking for a chance to prove that I can take care of you and love you," I whispered hopefully. The words seemed to strike a chord in Kanae, making her smile soften as her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. It wasn't an answer but it did give me hope that she would at least think about it.

Shinobu caught on to the situation at hand as she tapped her sister on the shoulder, seemingly shaking her out of her trance as her eyes left mine to turn to her little sister. They had an intense stare down where nothing was said out loud but plenty was implied to the other. I could only stand in awe at the connection the two of them had with each other. It was quite a wonderful and beautiful thing to witness between sisters.

"Could you give us a moment y/n? I think we need to talk in private," Shinobu smiled, flashing me a wink before she guided her sister a few steps away from me. I decided to turn around as well so I didn't seem to be spying on their private conversation. I could only pray that Kanae was opening up to me and would give me at least a chance to prove myself to her.

A few minutes passed by as the two muttered and whispered behind me. I watched a couple of butterflies flutter by my shoes with a small smile. No matter which way this went, I've at least had the pleasure of knowing two wonderful people. That could be enough even if being rejected would hurt. I could live past the pain and realize that I was lucky to have at least witnessed Kanae's kindness and beauty.

"Alright y/n. I've decided to accept your proposal of a proper courtship with the terms that I may leave at any point I desire without your interference," Kanae's melodic voice declared from behind me. My heart swelled as I turned around to look at her with wide eyes and a broad smile. She grinned somewhat bashfully at me, twirling the flowers by the stems in her hands. Shinobu flashed me a victorious thumbs up that reminded me to thank her later.

"I promise you won't regret it! And you can leave without an explanation at any moment but I swear to do my best for you and your sister," I bubbled, bowing in gratitude before them. I heard them both chuckle pleasantly as I reached out for Kanae's hand that she gave me without hesitation. I lifted the soft hand to my lips, kissing her knuckles gently as I looked into her wide eyes. "I swear to you, I will treat you right."