Kagaya x Reader

Thanks @DiaboAlpaca for the request!
—————————————————————————

I've been traveling for so long now I couldn't keep the names of all the villages straight in my head.  It seemed my journey was for nothing without a master to guide me through my studies.  There was something poetic about a lonely samurai, stricken by grief and solitude.  My hope of finding a new master after the unfortunate demise of my previous one had dwindled and now no longer existed as I stumbled across yet another village. 

This one seemed different though.  It was no longer a blank scenery that I only saw as a stop in my long journey.  There was something about it or possibly my despair of my failure that led me to stay longer and longer, stretching my stay far more than I ever had for the previous villages. 

Days and nights passed as I explored the small town out of curiosity.  Something had drawn me to stay and I was intent on finding what it was.  Perhaps there was nothing special that had caused me to stay but rather the lack of anything exciting in my future that told me to rest here, weary after a life spent on the move. 

A week had passed when the first bandits showed up, stealing whatever they could get their hands on with no one stopping them.  The villagers only held solemn expressions of a weariness I regularly saw in myself.  They weren't even afraid anymore but tired and beaten down.  It gave me a spark of responsibility that gave my life meaning again. 

And so the next time a group of lowlifes arrived with knives and sneers with a promise of nothing good, I was there to prevent them from even stepping foot into the village I was starting to see as home.  They had laughed at first until I unsheathed my wicked looking blade that looked like death as a weapon.  I still remember their wide eyes and the fear that warped their expression before they eagerly left.  It's now been months since this town had been robbed. 

The townspeople were kind to me and accepted me into their village with open arms.  I soon knew everyone by name, playing with the children of the town, dancing with the old women to get them to laugh, working along the sides of the farmers and protecting the village when needed.  This place had become home in a way that no other place had ever been for me. 

Each day was calm and made me feel needed whenever someone called my name.  I still considered myself a samurai but my duties were more than violence, now including menial chores that managed to make the villagers' lives a little bit easier. 

There were no more surprises, until a stranger stumbled across our village.  Warning and fear traveled quickly through the small town as I quickly ran to the entrance of the village to fight off whoever might be trying to hurt my town.  What I found instead was a young man with deep lavender eyes and a concerned smile. 

"I seem to have caused some unease.  I apologize for the scare but I mean no harm to anyone here," the man spoke softly.  My eyes took in his modest appearance from his simple robes to his combed hair.  There wasn't an ounce of malice or ill will in the way this man held himself. 

"You're alright.  This town is a little apprehensive towards visitors considering the only ones they had before insisted on pillaging," I explained with a warm smile.  The man nodded in understanding with a pitiful shine in his eyes.  I gestured for him to walk with me as I turned.  He fell in step beside me with a polite silence surrounding him. 

"What has brought you here?  Not many people stumble across this small village," I questioned.  The man's smile widened as he stared at me.  He looked so sweet and caring, someone who would only be sincere to those around him.  It was a look I rarely saw before I came upon this place myself. 

"My name is Kagaya Ubuyashiki and I've come for y/n l/n.  There were rumors in other villages that he was a wandering samurai in search of a master and one day disappeared.  From what I've heard, he's generous and a kind soul in need of a companion so I've come to ask to join him to learn all I can," the man explained with hope in his eyes.  I smiled before chuckling softly.  Kagaya gave me a curious tilt of his head as I gently gripped his shoulder. 

"Nice to meet you Kagaya and I'll gladly accept your companionship though I don't plan on leaving this village anytime soon," I gently stated.  His smile only widened as he perked up.  The joyful expression on his face made me feel like I had done right.  "I will warn you and say that the work here is simple and yet rewarding but not in the way you might imagine." 

"I've come to stay by your side and learn all I can in any way.  If that means simple work then so be it," he cheerfully proclaimed with a nod of his head.  I chuckled yet again, guiding him into the village with a flourish to show the villagers that Kagaya was not a person to be feared. 

Having a companion wasn't what I had started my journey for and a part of me still yearned for a master for myself but I would gladly pass down my knowledge to this young man with kind eyes and a glowing personality.  I could already tell he'd go far with or without me.