Kanao x Reader

Thanks @PowerKima for the request!
———
‼️emotional damage‼️
———

Death was one of those ideas for me that I didn't truly think would happen until it was too late to worry about it. I knew it existed of course. I was always surrounded by death, wherever I went it followed me like a shadow. It was still surprising that it was occurring to me though as I wheezed pathetically on the grassy area wherever the infinity castle had sent me. Despite it belonging to the demons, I couldn't help but think that the fortress had pulled me out of battle knowing that I couldn't go on like this.

Gashes were all across my body, blood spilling onto the ground to create a spreading pool under me. My throat had been slit along with my chest and one of my legs as well. No amount of training could've prepared me for the horror that I had faced in that place and luckily for me, I'd never get a chance to go back. I felt guilty leaving my comrades behind to deal with the rest but this was where my journey ended if the slowing of my heartbeat meant anything.

Smiling to myself sadly, I decided to be thankful for the time I've had to live rather than all the years that were being taken from me. It wasn't the most fulfilling of lives but even though I've had my fair share of tragedies, I've also had the chance to be around plenty more wonderful people that made this life worth living for. People who were worth dying for. Even if I never saw them again, I still felt the warmth of their love and care trying to heat up my cold body.

There was Master Ubuyashiki who had taken me into the demonslayer corps, opening his arms and heart to me under his care. I was sure going to miss him but we both knew we would go our separate ways in time. There was Tomioka who, even though he was quiet, had always made me feel comfortable when he was around. He was a nice person to open up to and it hurt to think that my death would be more grief for him to carry. Then of course I'd miss Mitsuri and Obanai, two strong warriors that I had loved to train with. They'd be strong enough to move on with my spirit to lift them up.

Tears pricked at my eyes as I thought of Shinobu, someone I had considered my sister. I didn't want to go when I thought of how she'd react when she found my body. I knew she was the type to blame herself for any misgivings and the loss of her sister had already broken her. I didn't want to be another sibling of hers that abandoned her in her time of need. In time she'll understand, she just had to make it through the initial shock and grief so that she can carry my legacy.

Thinking about butterflies led me to the last person I'd want to leave behind. The thought that hurt the most and left me gasping in more pain than just physically. Kanao might never forgive me for this. When I had left on this mission, she had made me promise her that I'd make it back to her and now I didn't even know where I was, knowing that I was already dying with no strength in me to even move. Everything hurt so bad.

"Y/n?" My eyes widened in disbelief, thinking that maybe I had already died and I was hearing the voice of an angel. Because as much as I wanted to believe that Kanao was here, that only meant that she'd witness my agonizing end and I would never wish that kind of memory to her. Sure enough though, her familiar face hovered over me as her hands gently grabbed my arms. Even the tiniest touch made me hiss out.

"Sorry, it's just that...it all hurts," I gasped out, trying to catch my breath. Kanao's eyes watered up, her expression one of shock and pain as she looked over my broken body. I tried to lift my hand, struggling to press my fingers against her arm reassuringly. "There isn't anything...that you can do. I'm well past saving so don't bother trying."

"What?" her meek voice squeaked out sadly. It was the most pitiful sound in the world and I desperately didn't want it to be the last thing I heard. I fought back against a wave of dizziness that tried to lure me into a deep sleep that I wouldn't wake from. I needed closure before I died so I had to try to fit everything I wanted to say into a small span of time. But how did you show the love and gratitude of years into a moment?

"Kanao, thank you, for everything. I love you," I whispered, feeling all of my remaining strength ebbing away. Cold seeped through my bones as my lungs hitched painfully before all of my wounds went numb. I was hit with a sense of peace that dulled everything else. There was no more hurt or ache, just a rising sense of exhaustion that I'd soon be put to rest. It was only a matter of seconds.

My hand slipped from Kanao's arm as my mind went fuzzy. Darkness swirled around the edge of my vision but I didn't fear it. I willingly leaned back, vaguely feeling someone pull me close but I was also separating from my senses. Before I released my hold on my old life, I heard one last departing whisper that gave me true peace of mind. Kanao's shaky voice held firm as it cut through the darkness, creating a path of light for my soul to follow. "I love you too."