Daki x Reader

Thanks @HantraxHF for the request!
———————————————————————

"Ume!  Look what I got!"  I panted heavily as I came to an abrupt stop with my arms full, a large smile plastered on my face.  The small girl looked at me with her wide eyes.  If my face wasn't warm from the running, it sure was now.  Holding out the still warm pieces of bread, I started bouncing on my heels excitedly. 

"Where did you get this?" the young girl asked as she took the piece, her own small smile growing as her stomach growled.  I wanted to burst with happiness at the score I had found.  My cheeriness spilled over as Ume took a bite of the bread, tears immediately pricking at her eyes. 

"Don't worry about it.  Now where's your brother?  He needs some too."  I spun around to look for my other friend to see him round the corner.  He never was far behind when his sister was involved.  He cast me a grin that widened at the sight of the bread in my arms. 

I split the rest of the loaf in half to share between the siblings.  They ate greedily and rightfully so...they've been starved for far too long.  My stomach clenched at the sight but I had eaten a meal earlier today and that was enough.  I refused to take too much, instead giving whatever I found to the siblings.  No offense to her brother but I had originally done this to watch over Ume. 

I gazed at the small girl now, no trace left of the bread I had given her mere moments ago.  Her eyes had retained some of their glimmer, something I had sought out to do.  She quickly pulled me close, her head resting against my chest as her brother sent me a suspicious glare.  My hands rested on her back as warmth spread through me.  Her embrace was absolutely perfect, full of light and promises. 

~~~

I was stupid.  Stealing that bread was bound to have repercussions but as a child how was I to know?  Large hands gripped my shoulders harshly as another kick was sent to my stomach.  The master of the house merely sneered down at me as he allowed his men to have their sick fun.  My cries were soft and quiet though all I wanted was to scream.  No one would come to save me though and so that would've been pointless. 

There were certain men that ran this town and I had been lucky enough to steal directly from one of their kitchens.  It wasn't only a strike to their supply but a strike to their pride as well.  I would become an example set to the others in this town just what would happen if you stole.  It didn't matter that I had done it to save my starving friends. 

Another kick had me spitting blood onto the snow before it dribbled down my chin.  My body was both freezing against the ice and warmed by my bloodshed as my body went into shock.  Everything hurt and my sobs only grew louder the harder they hit. 

A small crowd had begun to gather to watch in horrified silence but no one stepped up to save me.  I was on my own with no escape.  I couldn't even bear to look up at the faces around me until I had a scream.  My eyes squeezed shut as another kind of pain blossomed in my chest that was then kicked harshly.  Ume cried out but by the sound of shuffling, someone was holding her back.  I was grateful that she was stopped.  I wouldn't be able to handle her being punished as well. 

"Do you regret it punk?  Tell everyone what happens when you steal from our master," one of the men hissed, a hand sharply yanking my head up by my hair to look out at the crowd.  My eyes instantly met Ume's teary ones.  She let out more sobs but I managed to give her a small pained smile. 

"I'd do it all again without any hesitation," I rasped out wearily, my head dropping but my gaze on Ume intense.  The gasps from the crowd and the sound of a blade unsheathing behind me made my body tense up.  Something sharp pressed against my neck as Ume let out hysterical screams.