{Part Two: Silver Snow} Chapter Seventeen: Overdue Defeat I

When the next moon arrives, You rise from slumber with a new skip in your step. You prepare for the day as Seraphine speaks to You distantly.

Seraphine: You certainly seem to be in a better mood than you usually are... I know why though. I'm glad that Janae is awake now too.

You nod and say that You are going to talk to her again later.

Seraphine: That's a good idea. I'm sure that she would love to have your company. She's been holed up in the infirmary ever since she first woke up, but... I'm glad that Jill thinks she'll be alright. It seems Aisa's magic did more than enough to keep her sustained.

You say that You are beyond relieved for Aisa's assistance.

Seraphine: I am too... But it seems like we've still got a thousand and one questions rushing through our minds. There's so much that we still don't understand... Janae... She's your mother, and you... You were named as heir to the Adrestian Empire many years ago.

You hesitate before shaking your head and saying that your past does not matter to You anymore.

Seraphine: I can see why... Being named the future emperor doesn't amount to much when the man who made that decree is dead. It's not like we're going to be able to find answers anywhere else either. The one person who could have helped to fill in the gaps is...

You shake your head and say that You doubt Chris would have been able to help even if she was still alive.

Seraphine: I suppose that makes sense... When we brought up matters with Evenor previously, she always seemed confused. On top of that, if she knew something about Evenor, she would have told us about it five years ago instead of hiding the truth for so long. I'm sure that she would have been just as in the dark as we are now, but... I still wish that we could talk to her about this.

You tell Seraphine that You will simply have to press forward in light of all those You have lost.

Seraphine: I know, but... I'm starting to feel it too. Herwig said before that he felt guilty for not being able to protect her from Argades five years ago, and... I feel it too, and it's not even because she could have been the one to answer all of our questions. I just... I wish it didn't end that way.

You promise Seraphine that You will do all that You can to end the war as soon as possible for the sake of those who have fallen, Chris included.

Seraphine: Yes... I know. And on that note, I think the others are waiting for us. It wouldn't be right for us to wait for too long to go and speak with them.

You nod and make your way up to the cardinals' room. As is to be expected, the leaders of your army are gathered together there. Jill looks up when she realizes that You have arrived.

Jill: I'm glad to see you here. Janae was asking for you a bit ago. She's certainly latched herself onto you quickly ever since coming to.

Herwig: I'm relieved that she and Erika have both made speedy recoveries or are on the path to fully healing from their injuries. Neither one of them deserves to carry this burden forever.

Reese: I'm glad that at least something managed to come of the last moon... Aside from the reinforcements we've received, that is.

Cordelia: The first group of troops came in this morning, and it sounds like there are a few others that will be arriving over the next few weeks.

Adrian: And that means that nothing is going to be able to stop us when we finally get the chance to march back into Schweighen lands.

Niko: Good. We can't afford to lose any time like that if we want to earn Magnolia's help and a subsequent alliance in a timely manner.