Chapter 35: Lovebirds

“I told you, didn’t I? If it’s yours, it’s yours. No one can take it from you. You are the best student in our department after all!” said Parth. He felt so proud of Shehnaaz; he could not help patting her on the head affectionately.

Shehnaaz was overcome with joy. She did not mind Parth patting her on the head. She could not stop smiling.
Her eyes were brimming with happy tears and she bit her rosy bottom lip in excitement.

Kartik Sen’s voice sounded through the receiver, crisp and clear. “Tomorrow morning, eight o’ clock. This is your last chance.”

Shehnaaz hastily nodded at the receiver, and then said, “Yes! I’ve got this! I will not be late this time!”

Shehnaaz and Kartik then decided upon the venue for the interview. Once that was settled, Shehnaaz happily set the receiver down and left the specialist building with Parth.

They returned to her dormitory building, but Parth did not follow her inside this time. He undid her seat belt, but then grasped her hand. “Chin up, and put your best foot forward. I’ll pick you up for the interview
tomorrow.”

“You don’t have to do that, Class Rep. The interview will be in the law department’s conference room. I know how to get there.” Shehnaaz stepped out of the car and waved. “See you around, Class Rep.”

Shehnaaz ran up to her dorm room, her loud steps echoing in the hallway. She pushed open the door, and shouted,

“Green Tea Sharma, Lady Singh, Little Temptress! I’m back!”

“What are you so excited about? Forgot to take your crazy pills?” Green Tea Sharma smiled as she handed her a glass of water. “Here, have some warm water. The crazy pills go down easier if you dissolve them first.”

“Green Tea Sharma, my, you’re looking more and more lovely today! Come, give your Lil Sis a kiss!” Shehnaaz bent her face towards her.

Green Tea Sharma kissed her face with exaggerated kiss sounds, then patted her cheek and said, “All right, now go tie up whatever loose ends you have while the sun’s out. Class Rep will be treating us to dinner tonight. Lil Sis, don’t forget, you’re the VIP
today.”

They were always kidding around like this in the dormitory.

The other two roommates were completely used to it by now. One was sitting on the upper bunk bed, taking large bites out of an apple, her long, slender legs leisurely
swinging back and forth in the air; the other was out on the balcony with her headphones on, working on her English.

The one on the balcony was Lady Singh. She smiled and waved at her roommates. “Lil Sis, come here, quick. Your boyfriend still hasn’t gone. Tsk tsk, someone should tell our lovestruck Class Rep to stop being such a show-off. Such a tall, strapping body! Such a lovely, handsome face! Oooh, I feel the need to fan myself very time I look at him! Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!”

“Lady Singh, stop. Your ignorance is showing. That idiom isn’t used the way you think that it means,” said Little Temptress as she walked out to the balcony, arm-in-arm with Shehnaaz. Green Tea Sharma followed behind them, eager to join in on the fun.

Downstairs, in full view of the balcony, Parth leaned against his deceptively plain Buick. He would occasionally
look at his watch.

“Lil Sis, you should seriously consider dating the Class Rep. Look at him! He has the body of a male model, a gorgeous face, and an IQ worthy of the best universities around. He’s also the heir to a massive family fortune, and—this is obviously the most important part—he treats you like a princess. Where else are you going to find another man like him?” Little Temptress had just finished singing Parth’s praises when a girl in a white woolen dress appeared downstairs. She walked over to Parth, and
presented him with a scarf that was very obviously not store-bought.