Chapter 45: Hoes Before Bros

“Hoes before bros, Class Rep? Really?! I bet you’d throw your best friend out the window in exchange for a date!”
Strongman was deliberately
overreacting. He crawled out of the car and gave a drunken belch before stumbling back to his dormitory, swaying unsteadily the whole way.

Parth leaned against the hood of his car, in the shadow of a street lamp. When he called Shehnaaz on the
phone, the corners of his mouth automatically curved upwards. He couldn’t help it.

He had not felt this sweet, bubbly feeling inside him since high school.
This time, he wasn’t going to let go. If he let her slip by, he was going to regret it for the rest of his life.

Parth dialled Shehnaaz’s number but the call was declined.

He stared at his phone for a few moments before looking up to check Shehnaaz’s room in the dormitory building. The lights were still on; Shehnaaz and her roommates were
obviously still up and about. But she had refused to take his call.

It seemed that the “good girl” of Class One wasn’t without a temper of her own.

Parth smiled at this. He did not call again.

He got out a cigarette, lit it, and inhaled. He held the cigarette in one hand as he sent Shehnaaz a series of texts with the other.

“Sana, are you asleep?”

“If you’re still awake, can you come downstairs so we can talk?”

“Sana, I miss you so much. We’ve only been apart for half an hour, but I’m missing you already.”

“Sana, are you mad at me?”

“If you’re angry, I absolutely have to make it up to you.”

“Sana, let’s make a promise. We can quarrel, but we’ll make up before the day is over. No going to bed angry.”

“Sana, please come downstairs. If you don’t, I’ll wait here the whole night.”

The text messages kept on coming. It was impossible for Shehnaaz to ignore them.

She did not dare turn off her phone, because she was still waiting for Sidharth to call her.

She was leaning against her bed, fiddling with her phone.

Seeing the long stream of messages from Parth, she let out a small sigh, got up, and walked to the window. She saw Parth leaning against his car, tall and slim. A small speck of red flickered in his hand—it was probably a cigarette.

For some reason, she held in place by his solitary figure. She could not bring herself to look away.

Shehnaaz stared at the tiny
speck between his fingers for what seemed like a long, long time. Her phone was held tightly in her hand.
The look on her face did not escape her roommates. They were well aware that Parth was still waiting
downstairs.

Green Tea Sharma was in the middle of putting on a face mask.

She saw what was going on, gave a small cough, and said, “I’m thinking of getting Starbucks. Anyone else feel like coffee?”

“Count me in. I want a latte, no sugar.” Little Temptress was checking her Weibo and chatting with her family at the same time.

“Cappuccino for me, with sugar and milk.” Lady Singh was sitting primly in front of her computer, prepping a case as part of her internship.

Green Tea Sharma called out to Shehnaaz  and asked, “Sana, what do you want?”

Shehnaaz turned to look at her; she shook her head and said, “You girls want coffee at this hour? Insomnia, much? What about your beauty sleep?”