Chapter 177 - Practically Strangers

Sidharth leaned forward slightly. He lifted his eyes to look at Deputy Director Nigam, his freshly polished pistol gleaming in his hand. He got out his phone, turned on the Record function, and pointed it towards the deputy director.

He said nonchalantly, “What did you just say? I didn’t catch that. Say it again.”

Deputy Director Nigam stared at the phone in Sidharth’s hand. The sweat was now pouring off his forehead like a waterfall.

He didn’t have the balls to say it while he was being recorded!

“What’s wrong? You were so talkative just a minute ago. What, are you scared of a phone?” Sidharth smiled as he shook his head. He placed the phone on the coffee table between the two sofas, and crossed his legs. He gestured towards the walls behind him with an imperious wave of his hand. “Deputy Director Nigam, it’s too late for you, actually. You’re on my turf, now. I’ve been recording your every word and action, ever since you stepped into this room.”

“What?! How dare you film me without me without my permission? That’s illegal! That’s a violation of my privacy! Any recordings of me made without my consent constitute a violation of my privacy, and infringe upon my civil rights!” Deputy Director Nigam waved his arms about in a display of indignation, but the look on his face was one of terror.

Sidharth said nothing. He remained seated on the sofa as he quietly watched Deputy Director Nigam gesture wildly in a mixture of fear and anger. After a moment, he nonchalantly twirled his pistol and said unhurriedly, “Deputy Director Nigam, this has nothing do with you. Why are you sticking your nose into this?”

Deputy Director Nigam decided it was all or nothing. He was
already being recorded, so there was no way he could play it safe and try to please both sides now. He clenched his jaw and said, “General Shukla, are you saying that you would rather break the law and give up your mother, if it meant protecting Shehnaaz Gill?”

“That’s a strange question. Who told you to ask me that?” Sidharth frowned heavily..

“What… what do you mean, who told me to ask that? I’m asking you because I want to know, of course,” Deputy Director Nigam replied nervously. “You have two choices: either you hand over Mrs. Singhania, or you hand over Shehnaaz Gill. I don’t see another option. Do you?”

“Of course I do.” Sidharth sat up straight. “Mrs. Singhania is my mother. Why should I hand her over to a stranger? As for Shehnaaz Gill, she’s my mission. Ask around: when have I, Sidharth Shukla, ever abandoned my missions?” He suddenly stood up; in the next second, his pistol was already out of its holster and pressed against the deputy director’s temple.

“…You represent an obstacle to my mission if you try to take
Shehnaaz Gill away from me. I’ll shoot you dead, right here, right now. I’m not kidding.”

Deputy Director Nigam was scared witless. He closed his eyes
and gasped out, “General Shukla, please, forgive me! Don’t be angry! Someone… someone asked me to do this! Please don’t be hasty, General Shukla!”

“Someone asked you to do this? Who? Tell me, and I’ll let you go.” Sidharth leaned against the coffee table, his gun still pressed against the deputy director’s temple. He patted the deputy director’s cheek with his free hand. “Tell me who put you up to this, and I promise to delete all the audio and video recordings of you.”

“Really?” Deputy Director Nigam had not expected this. A moment ago, he had fallen into a metaphorical ravine; now, he spied someone above him, lowering a rope to save him. He said gratefully, “Do you mean it, General Shukla?!”