Chapter 146 - Coincidence

B*tch I am BACK ☻😈☻

____________________________________

Kartik stopped in his tracks. His almond-shaped eyes flashed. "Shehnaaz, you have a lunch meeting at noon. Have you forgotten about it?"

Shehnaaz jerked her head up in surprise. "I have a lunch meeting? Why didn't anyone tell me about it?"

"I'm telling you about it now. Got a problem with that?" Kartik's voice had dipped below freezing point, to match his frosty attitude. "If you have so much time on your
hands, you should be thinking about how to improve your professional work, instead of going around buying breakfast for other people. Who's he to you, anyway? He has a wife waiting for him, back in India-have you considered what this might look like to her? You're not some errand girl."

Shehnaaz bit her lip. She was not an errand girl, and Kartik was right: Brother Khatri was a married man. She had to tread carefully.

She let go of Kartik's sleeve, feeling a little panicked.

"...Professor Sen, I didn't really mean anything by that. His wife will understand, right? It was just breakfast..."

Kartik's long, dark lashes lowered over his shimmering, almond-shaped eyes. "You bought breakfast for Little Khatri, but not for anyone else. What do you think that looks like?"

"Oh..." Shehnaaz let out a long sigh. She was reminded of her time as a C University student: Parth had bought her breakfast every day, and he had bought it only for her and no one else. That had been enough for all her
schoolmates to figure out that Parth was trying to woo her.
She had to admit that her actions were extremely misleading. But she wanted to get closer to Brother Khatri; buying breakfast for him had seemed like a good way to earn brownie points with him.

"What do I do? I don't want his wife to get the wrong idea..." Shehnaaz walked away with her head in her hands, leaving Kartik behind her in the hallway.

Kartik put his hands in the pockets of his black dress pants, unable to believe that Shehnaaz had abandoned him in the hallway, just like that.

He turned to look in the direction of the Speaker of the Senate's office, and then turned back around to look at the girl who was now walking away with slumped, dejected shoulders. He looked up at the corridor ceiling, and finally
made up his mind. He darted forwards, caught up with Shehnaaz, and said, a little stiffly, "If you don't want Little Khatri's wife to get the wrong idea, you should buy breakfast for a few other people, too. That way, his wife won't think there's anything strange about it, even if she finds out."

Shehnaaz stopped. Her dark, inky eyes twinkled with joy.

"You're right! Professor Sen, you always know what to do, you're so experienced. I'll do just that. I'll go buy breakfast for the others, right this minute." With that, she
immediately made a beeline for the breakfast corner in the
restaurant.

Kartik followed after her. He coughed and said nonchalantly, "I don't have first-hand experience, I'm just drawing logical conclusions from my observations of human nature. Anyway, this is your lucky day-I haven't had my
breakfast yet, so here's your chance to buy me breakfast."

Shehnaaz turned and gave Kartik an odd look. "But I thought you don't eat breakfast? You drink red wine in the morning, and that's it... That's what I heard from my
classmate, anyway."

Kartik looked icy daggers at her. He could practically feel the roots of his teeth smarting as he sneered, "Is this the time to be Miss Smarty Pants? Weren't you just talking about how important breakfast is? You told Little Khatri to eat breakfast to stay healthy, and somehow that doesn't apply to me? Well, that certainly says a lot about what Little Khatri means to you."