Chapter 187 - Sincerely Proud

Sidharth leisurely leaned backwards into the sofa. His face was indifferent, but there was a sharp, stubborn glint in his eyes. “Chairman Bhatt, my mother survived the laboratory mishap, but she was also a victim. Please do not use loaded terms to make it sound like my mother deliberately caused the accident.”

Chairman Bhatt was stunned to hear this, but quickly recollected himself. He laughed. “You cheeky boy—arguing semantics with me, eh?”

The Indian’s parliament was responsible for enacting laws and regulations; arguing semantics was their forte.

Sidharth wasn’t used to getting into verbal arguments, but he always made sure to protect the people important to him.

“I meant no disrespect, Chairman Bhatt.” Sidharth lifted his chin slightly. “What I mean is, I went to great lengths to save and cure my mother. Surely you understand that I don’t want her to be subjected to unfair treatment after all that? I hope that Chairman Bhatt and General Rawat will be able to relay my message to everyone interested in reopening the case—tell them that I don’t mind them asking my mother for assistance in the investigation, but if they try anything fishy, or if they try to control my mother’s freedom… well, I’m sorry to say this, but I have only three words for them: in your dreams.”

Chairman Bhatt stared at Sidharth, dumbstruck. It was a full minute before he turned to General Rawat and said, amidst
loud, booming laughter, “Old Rawat, you sly devil! So you got the jump on me and found a worthy successor without telling
anyone about it. If only my successor were at least half as
capable as yours…”

He shook his head, too disheartened to drink even his
favorite green tea. He began slapping one knee with an irritable hand as he complained: “I’m not getting any younger here, but the two houses in parliament are still at loggerheads with each other. How I wish someone would be able to smack some sense into those unruly goblins and imps!”

Pfffffft!

General Rawat could not help it. He sprayed his mouthful of tea out, onto the coffee table before him.

“Old Bhatt, did I hear you right?! Did you just call your fellow
assemblymen a group of unruly goblins and imps?!”

Sidharth’s lips curved into a faint smile. He said calmly, “Well said, Chairman Bhatt. Most of the people in parliament right now are despicable and frustrating to work with. ‘Unruly goblins and imps’ would be putting it mildly.”

“You’re one to talk! The other countries all hate our Special
Operations Forces. What right have you to call other people
‘despicable,’ when you’re the American CIA and the British
MI5’s top-hated enemy?” General Rawat pointed a finger at Sidharth as he pretended to admonish him. In fact, he was
sincerely proud of the Special Ops.

“Hah, would you rather the CIA and the MI5 sing our praises? I’m sure you’d be crying by now if they actually like the Special Ops, instead of hating us,” said Sidharth in a rare display of candid humor. He was in a good mood.

“Hahaha… true! You’ve got me there!” General Rawat laughed
heartily.

Chairman Bhatt had not been kidding about being envious; he was truly jealous that General Rawat had been able to find such a reliable successor. In a fit of moody restlessness, he suddenly asked Sidharth: “By the way, have you discovered where Shehnaaz came from, yet?”

Earlier that evening, Shehnaaz had utterly destroyed Kirat with a few succinct phrases. Everyone who knew a thing or two about debating had been impressed by her eloquence and intelligence. Even Chairman Bhatt, who had
high, exacting standards, had been thoroughly awed and excited to see such promising talent; he could hardly wait to
get her to join him.