Chapter 179 - Comparing People (1)

“Oh well, I was wrong, but eh, it’s my first time performing this operation, so it’s totally understandable if I’m a little off
with my estimates,” Sandeep said shamelessly. He stepped aside to let Sidharth enter the operating room. “Well, get in there. Mrs. Singhania is waiting for you inside.” Sandeep was eager to be out of Sidharth’s crosshairs, as soon as possible.

Sidharth put his hands in his trouser pockets. He stood quietly before the door to Operating Room B, as though trying to make up his mind.

Sandeep shot Shehnaaz a pointed look. They exchanged a nod, before sneaking out of the operating suite. Shehnaaz shut the door firmly behind her.

“…This should be good enough, right?” Shehnaaz looked around anxiously. “No one can see what’s going on inside, right?”

“There are hidden cameras and microphones in all the public spaces inside this residence.” Sandeep looked straight ahead when he said this, a pleasant smile on his face. His voice was barely above a whisper, but Shehnaaz was standing close enough to hear him. She realized he was showing her how to fool the cameras and microphones.

“Seriously? I thought he was pulling my leg…” Shehnaaz  mumbled to herself, before trailing off into silence.

“You said that you’d help me analyze the data. Well, let’s go.
No point standing around here.” Sandeep ushered Shehnaaz into the small office opposite the operating suite.

At the door to Operating Room B, Sidharth quelled his urge to smoke, and reached for the door instead. He pushed it open.

The room was lit by a shadowless lamp fixed to the the
ceiling. The room had no windows, but it was bright as day.

A hauntingly beautiful woman, dressed in a white patient gown, was lying on the operating chair. Her face was turned towards the direction of the door; the look in her eyes was one of excited curiosity, coupled with a trace of uneasiness.

This was his mother, the woman he remembered.

Sidharth calmed down.

He stepped across the threshold and shut the door gently behind him.

Rita looked up and saw a tall, majestic man enter the room.

When he looked at her, she was momentarily taken aback.

Was this devastatingly beautiful man truly her son, Sidharth?

The Sidharth she knew was an introverted, good-looking boy of 12. He had been a quiet boy, but she knew how much he loved her: he always brought a birthday cake to her laboratory on his birthday, when she was too busy with work to celebrate his birthday with him. He had to take the bus and transfer at a few stops just to get to her laboratory, but he did it anyway—all because he wanted to be with her on his birthday.

Her son had never asked for anything more.

She remembered that the day of the laboratory explosion, 16 years ago, had been the day before Sidharth’s birthday.

She had wanted to finish the experiment as soon as possible, so that she would be able to spend the next day with her son to celebrate his birthday.

The next thing she knew, 16 years had passed by.

The young boy had grown into a mature, dignified young man. She had a difficult time reconciling the two.

Sidharth slowly made his way to his mother. He sat on a chair beside the operating chair, his stoic, impassive expression in place.