Chapter 180 - Comparing People (2)

Last Chapter is on Instagram so this Chapter onwards you will get new updates for those who have already read it on Instagram. Thank you for all your love and patience. 🤗🥰🫀🎊

----------------------------------------------

Sidharth stood alone in his backyard, under a big tree.

He took a drag on his cigarette, his expression inscrutable.

His tall, strapping silhouette, usually majestic and imposing,
now appeared to be shrouded in loneliness.

The tree behind him had already shed all its leaves. Its sturdy branches seemed to claw desperately at the sky.

He had never been one to engage in what he considered to be “pointless gossip.” He had made an exception this time and told his mother what his father had been up to, but only because he wanted to get her up to speed and have her back in control of her life as soon as possible.

Rita was missing 16 years’ worth of memories. He did not have time to sit around and hope that Rita would be able to regain her memories overnight through some kind of miracle.

He had to inform her of the important issues. The smaller
details would have to wait.

He had finished his cigarette and was about to go back in when he heard Deepak’s voice over his earpiece. “Sir, Deepika  Shukla has been calling repeatedly. Do you want to take her call?”

Sidharth was about to tell Deepak to ignore Deepika’s calls, but changed his mind at the last second. Now that Rita had recovered from her illness, it was time for Sidharth to sniff out what Deepika and Kirat were up to. He said to Deepak, “I’ll take the call.”

A few seconds later, Deepika’s call was routed to Sidharth’s headset.

“Is that you, Cousin Brother? It’s me, Deepika.” Deepika sounded nervous. “…How is Mrs. Singhania? You haven’t been
taking my calls. Are you still angry with me?”

Sidharth ignored her questions. He asked coolly, “What do you want? If you called just for idle chit-chat, I’m hanging up.”

“No, wait, I have something to ask you!” Deepika said hastily. She sounded meek and respectful now. “Grandfather asked me to ask you whether you’ll be home for the New Year party. We’ve sent out the invitations, and everyone knows you’re back for the holidays. If you don’t show… well, there will be a lot of gossip.”

Sidharth gave a non-committal grunt in reply, before adding: “…I’ll think about it.”

Sidharth’s acerbic tone annoyed Deepika; it was a complete 180 from the gentle tone he used with Shehnaaz.

She resented his attitude towards her, but was too afraid of Sidharth to yell at him over the phone. On the other hand, she was still angry with Rita, and wanted to get back at her. She thought about it for a moment, and decided it was time to drop the bomb. She said frostily, “Okay. By the way, Aunt Kirat and her brother came to our house today to talk to Grandfather and Second Uncle. They’ve decided to officially announce Aunt Kirat and Second Uncle’s engagement at the New Year party.”

He thought he had mentally prepared himself for it, but Sidharth was still blindsided by the news. He was silent for a moment, before saying impassively, “Understood.” He
hung up after that.

He turned, walked up the steps leading to the back door, and went inside.

He made his way to Operating Room B, and saw Shehnaaz sitting idly on the sofa beside the door. Sidharth paused before the door, but did not turn to look at her. He said in a low voice: “Go check on Sandeep, see what he’s
doing. You don’t have to stay here.”