Chapter 81: Shehnaaz's Intuition (1)

“Set up a sniping position, here?” Shehnaaz’s interest was piqued; she turned her large, lively eyes towards Little Mirror Lake and gazed upon left wing, standing there upon the far shore. She closed her eyes and whispered, “Oh my god! You’re going to use an anti-materiel sniper rifle,
aren’t you?!”

Only a bullet from an anti-materiel sniper rifle would be able to reach left wing from here, across the vast expanse of the lake.

The military officer was surprised. “Huh, you know about anti-materiel sniper rifles?”

Not everyone in the military knew about these sniper rifles.

It was extremely unusual for the average layman to know about them.

Shehnaaz smiled. “I read about it on the internet. I’m kind of a military nut.”

“You should spend your time studying instead of wasting it on the internet,” admonished the military officer with
complete seriousness. “Get in. I have
to shut the door now.”

Shehnaaz nodded. She was about to turn away when she saw, out of the corner of her eye, two tall, strapping men step out of the Humvee, one after the other.

She could feel a current of shock run through her body. Her mind had gone blank, and there was a steady buzz in her ears. She quickly turned her eyes towards them, and greedily drank in the sight of the tall figure walking in front.

A column of light shone down from the heavens; there was a helicopter circling above them with its searchlight on.

In this very moment, the sound of rain no longer reached her. She watched the dark of the night slowly recede before her very eyes. The world around her had turned into nothing
more than a stage backdrop, superficial and meaningless.

Her whole universe was now comprised only of a single entity: the tall, well-built man clad in the military’s Special Taskforce uniform.

Although it was impossible to see the man’s face, obscured as it was by a black helmet and night vision goggles, she was familiar with the tall, strapping figure, the broad shoulders, and the imposing aura enveloping him—it was her Uncle Sid, she was sure of it!

There was no way she would mistake someone else for him: she had followed him about like an accessory strapped to his leg during her first four years living with him, after all!

But those days were a distant memory. She hadn’t seen him for over two months now, and had spoken with him over the phone only twice…

Shehnaaz clung to the frame of the straw hut’s doorway.

Her body had locked up. She couldn’t move.

The military officer in front of the door gave her an impatient push. “Get in. We need to clear the area, authorised personnel only.” With that, he shut the door in her face, loudly.

Shehnaaz staggered backwards, and almost fell to the ground.

Parth hurriedly put an arm around Shehnaaz to steady her. He asked, his voice full of concern, “Are you
okay?”

Shehnaaz shook her head slowly.

Her breath seemed to have caught in her throat; she did not know whether she was supposed to breathe in or out.
She pressed a hand against her chest, leaned her back against the door of the straw hut, and slid to the ground.

The straw hut had no windows. Darkness enveloped them as soon as the only door was shut.

Sidharth and Deepak got out of the Humvee and walked past the closed doors of the straw hut without a second glance. They arrived at the shore of Little Mirror Lake, and began to look for a suitable spot to set up the anti-materiel sniper rifle.