Chapter 99 - So Much Drama

Shehnaaz stared at her phone, hardly believing her eyes.

Professor Sen was being way too nice to her…

Shehnaaz did not know how to react.

She had to think long and hard before texting her carefully worded reply:
“Professor Sen, I’m still a minor. I will be 18 this October, but before that, the law states that I have to be accompanied by my guardian when going overseas…”

At this moment, Kartik Sen was on the highway, heading towards the Indian Capital Airport.

He was sitting in the back seat of a luxurious Rolls-Royce, his tall, slender body dressed in a dark blue casual suit. His nose was tall and straight; below it, his thin lips were compressed into a straight line. His bright almond eyes were slightly red and unfocused. He looked like he had been drinking.

He held his phone in one hand, his slender fingers deftly moving across the screen. He automatically tapped out a message, without stopping to think about it: “…Get your guardian to sign over temporary custody of you.”
Shehnaaz frowned.

An internship at the US Congress was a rare opportunity, even for students from the prestigious Ivy League Law
Schools.

For most of the students in the India, it was just a pipe dream.

This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The students in Shehnaaz’s college had gone wild when they heard that Kartik Sen was recruiting graduate students.

This was because Kartik Sen wasn’t just any old professor – he was a powerful man with powerful connections.

Anyone lucky enough to have him as their mentor would receive a massive boost to their career.

Shehnaaz was young, but she had seen and experienced many things. She was as world-wise as her older classmates, if not more.

She was highly sceptical of anything that looked like a free lunch.

If something seemed too good to be true, it probably was.

After some deliberation, Shehnaaz decided that she could not give Professor Sen an answer now; she would have to discuss it with Uncle Shukla first.

She did not think Professor Sen had ulterior motives; nevertheless, it was a good idea to be careful.

After her two recent ordeals, she was beginning to be a little paranoid.

Having made up her mind, she sent a message to Kartik Sen.

[Shehnaaz]: “…Thank you, Professor Sen, for your kind offer. I have to discuss this with my guardian.”

Kartik stared at Shehnaaz’s message.

He gradually sobered up.

He propped his elbow against the car window, and put a hand to his forehead. He closed his eyes and let out a long, silent breath. Suddenly, he smiled.

His face, as cool and frigid as winter frost, was suddenly full of the warmth of spring. The brilliance of his smile
illuminated the dark interior of the car like a bolt of lightning.

Rashmi, who was sitting next to Kartik, saw his smile, and was so astonished by it she was momentarily at a loss for words.

She hurriedly turned away. She suppressed the wild beating of her heart, and fixed her attention upon the night view beyond the window instead.

The streetlights on both sides of the highway flew by, blurring together into an endless streak of light.

Kartik knew that Shehnaaz was having doubts. He rubbed his brow. His cool, clear voice was light and amused when he said, “So much drama. It’s always one thing or another with this girl.”