Chapter 79: Mr. Shukla's Decision (6)

As a general rule, snipers never acted alone. They were always accompanied by a spotter. Sher immediately said: “I’ll be your spotter!”

Rohit patted him on the shoulder. “I’m counting on you.”

Even as they talked, the rain outside had gotten heavier.

There was now only the sound of the pouring rain around the entrance to left wing. The gangsters had not kept
up the gunfire; it was clear that they, too, did not want to waste their bullets.

But as soon as there was movement beyond the courtyard gate, the Minigun at the window roared to life again with a

rat-a-tat-a-tat.

The gunfire lashed out like a long, fiery tongue in the rainy night, riddling the grass lawn before left wing with
unsightly holes.

Rohit and Sher stealthily crept into position as a policeman out front deliberately created a distraction, luring the attentions of the gangsters away. They found a spot facing the front window of the main building in left wing and got down, sniper rifle at the ready.

This was not the sniper rifle Rohit was used to, but it did not matter to him. He was an ace sniper: he always got results, even when he had to use someone else’s sniper rifle.

He laid himself out on the ground, and tested the weight and feel of the sniper rifle in his hands. Rohit even
went so far as to take the scope off the sniper rifle, so as to not give his position away to the gangster manning the Minigun.

He had to do this because his sniper rifle was one of the common, mid-range models, which meant that the scope was nothing more than an optical mirror. In the dark of the night, the optical mirror reflected every sliver of light, exposing the sniper’s position.

Rohit had excellent vision. He was confident he would be able to hit his target without a scope at this distance.

Sher had never seen Rohit in action, and therefore did not know how good he was with a sniper rifle.

He stared at Rohit, dumbfounded, when he removed the scope from the sniper rifle.

“Don’t worry about me – just concentrate on your job.” Rohit patted Sher on the shoulder. “Get down.”

Sher laid himself out on a patch of higher ground, above Rohit. He held the telescope that came with the sniper rifle in his hand, and began to report his observations.

“Distance of 20 meters, dead ahead, 11 o’clock, wind velocity: 10 meters per second, heavy rain, rain velocity:
steady. Report over.”

Rohit began to calibrate the reticle on his sniper rifle according to the numbers Sher had given.

Because there was no scope, he had to calibrate the reticle by sight and feel alone.

He only had one chance.

He had to take out the Minigun and the gangster manning it with a single shot. Otherwise, the gangsters would most
likely be provoked and go berserk.

That usually ended with the gangsters
killing the hostages before committing suicide themselves.

If he failed, it would be but a small misstep for Rohit, personally. He could live with that. It would be disastrous
and embarrassing for the 6th Military Region as a whole, however, and that was something he would not stand for.

He lay on the ground, motionless, for a full ten minutes. He was so still that even Warrior No. 2, over in left wing, caught a whiff of the abnormal tension in the air.