Chapter 111 - Don't Reveal Your Entire Hand

Rashmi had left in an indignant huff.

There were now only two people at the table meant for four: Shehnaaz and
Kartik, seated opposite each other.

Kartik did not speak. He leaned against the sofa, his arms folded across his chest. He looked at Sana critically.

"Why are you always so eager to provoke Miss Desai?"

"She's trying to provoke me, Professor Sen! How can you turn this on me?" Shehnaaz could no longer control herself.

"Unless you think there's nothing wrong with installing spy cameras in your student's apartment?"

Kartik's eyes flickered to the gift box that Rashmi had forgotten to take with her. He said, in a low voice, "Make no mistake, I will get to the bottom of this. But before that…" Kartik looked at Shehnaaz expressionlessly; if his tone had been cold before, it was now below freezing point. "You shouldn't be so emotional. A good lawyer must have self-control—that's one of the basic requirements. You must be able to keep your emotions in check, no matter the circumstances. I am very disappointed in your behavior today. It seems that I have overestimated you."

Shehnaaz pursed her lips as she inwardly rolled her eyes.

She said, her expression deadpan, "Thank you, Professor Sen, for the invaluable lesson. I am still a student, however. I can't be expected to act as convincingly as Miss Desai, or be as aloof and detached as you are, Professor Sen. Still, I will do my best to learn, and strive to surpass my teachers in the future."

Kartik could not help smiling at the indignant expression on Shehnaaz's face. He shook his head and said, "Okay. Just remember your lesson."

"In any case, it is wrong to install cameras in a private apartment. My feelings have nothing to do with it." Shehnaaz refused to let Rashmi off the hook. She was now certain that Rashmi was out to get her, and no longer saw the point in keeping things civil.

She would rather have it all out in the open, than continue to act like everything was fine and dandy between the two of them. She wasn't going to suffer in silence while Rashmi walked all over her.

Shehnaaz knew this was the only way to put Rashmi in her place.

Any sane person would have learned by now not to mess with Shehnaaz. It simply wasn't worth the risk and effort.

Rashmi would think twice before trying to mess with her again.

Brother Khatri, who had been hovering at a safe distance, finally shuffled back to the table when he saw that Rashmi had left.

Kartik and Shehnaaz did not bring up the matter again.

Shortly after, the waiters brought them the food they had ordered. Shehnaaz and Brother Khatri chatted amiably as they tucked into their food. The awkwardness at the table quickly dissipated, thanks to their merry conversation.

Kartik barely touched his food: he seemed more interested in the wine. A faint blush crept across his fair cheeks, complementing his bright almond eyes.

It was hard not to lose yourself in his eyes when he looked at you.

Shehnaaz was full now. She smiled at Kartik. "Professor Sen, I didn't expect you to not like onions either."

The original recipe for Philly cheesesteak included chopped onions, for maximum flavor.

Kartik raised an eyebrow. "Why? You don't like them either?"

"Yeah, I hate the taste of onions. They stink so bad." Shehnaaz pinched her dainty nose and made a disgusted face as she took a sip of her lemonade.

Kartik had ordered the lemonade for her. He kept the wine away from her, as she was not yet 18, and therefore
still under the legal drinking age.