Chapter 160 - Forever 18

Rita looked uneasy and afraid. Her pretty phoenix eyes shimmered—she looked as though she was about to
cry.

She glanced timidly in Anand’s direction, but he remained as he were: seated beside his father with a heavy frown on his face. It was clear he did not want to look at her.

The tears threatened to spill from Rita’s eyes.

“Auntie Devi, Auntie Pooja, take Second Aunt upstairs, now.” Deepika frantically gave the instructions to send Rita out the room.

Shehnaaz jaw dropped when she heard Deepika address the woman as “Second Aunt.”

Sidharth’s father, Anand Shukla, was Deepika Shukla’s  second uncle. “Second aunt” would therefore refer to his wife.

The woman could not possibly be older than 30. Was she Sidharth’s step-mother?

Shehnaaz’s mind raced. She snuck a look at Sidharth.

Sidharth was sitting with his back towards her. He did not turn around. Shehnaaz could not see his expression, but she could tell that his back had stiffened.

It was rare for Sidharth to be so on edge. Shehnaaz turned to look at Rita again.

Rita saw that Shehnaaz was the only one in the room who was looking attentively at her, and turned to her
with a pleading look on her face.

Shehnaaz knew that look of desperation, and the feeling of helpless bewilderment that lay beneath it.

When she had first gotten out of that car accident alive, so many years ago, she had often seen the very same expression of horror on her face in the mirror. At the time, she had felt as though she did not belong in this world.

She subconsciously took Rita’s hand and squeezed it, before turning to look at Deepika. She asked gently:
“Sister Deepika, what kind of illness does Mrs. Shukla have? She doesn’t seem to have a fever.”

In Shehnaaz’s dictionary, “illness” was defined as “having a fever”…

Deepika stared at Shehnaaz, speechless. After a moment, she finally shook her head and said, “She doesn’t have a fever, but she’s sick. No question about it.”

“Really?” Shehnaaz was even more sympathetic towards Rita now. “What’s wrong with her?”

“…I’m not sick.” Rita muttered resentfully, just then. “I am not sick.” She looked as Shehnaaz as she emphasized her words, the tears in her eyes already clinging to her lashes. It was clear that she sincerely
believed what she was saying.

“Okay, I believe you,” said Shehnaaz  as she squeezed her hand again. It occurred to Shehnaaz that the woman was probably sick, but did not know it; it would explain why everyone else in the dining room had remained silent the entire time. Still, the woman looked healthy enough, and Shehnaaz  could not think of any disease she could possibly be suffering from.

Rita spoke clearly and articulately. She recognized her surroundings, and was able to carry a conversation. She
could not possibly be suffering from a mental disorder.

Shehnaaz had been to therapy sessions herself, courtesy of Deepak, and had read many books on psychology. She was familiar with the diagnostic criteria for psychiatric disorders.

“You believe me? Really?” Rita had become somewhat agitated. “You really believe me?”

Before Shehnaaz could reply, Deepika  suddenly asked, “Second Aunt, how old are you this year?”

“18. I’m 18. Why?” Rita looked at Deepika, perplexed. “Why do you keep asking me that?”

Deepika folded her arms as she looked at Shehnaaz. She inclined her chin towards Shehnaaz as she said, “See
that? That’s her illness.”