Chapter 181 - Comparing People (3)

“I don’t think the young lady and I would have anything in common to talk about.” Rita smiled. “That’s okay, I’ll just lie here by myself…”

“You’d be surprised.” Sidharth made no attempt to hide the smile on his face. “You want to find out who forged the letters and sue them for defamation, right? Sana’s a law student, she’s very intelligent. She may be able to help you.” He paused, then said in a voice that sounded a little too casual to be natural, “She’s only 18, but she’s already
graduated from college. She’ll be attending B University’s Law School as a graduate student soon.”

“Oh? That’s impressive. What an extraordinary young lady.” Rita nodded. There was a knowing flicker in her eyes: she could tell that Sidharth was very fond and
protective of Shehnaaz. “Well, tell her to come in, then.”

Sidharth nodded in reply. He left the operating room, made his way to Sandeep’s study, and beckoned to Shehnaaz from the doorway. “Come with me.”

He did not take Shehnaaz directly to his mother; instead, he led her to the small garden behind his residence to explain what was going on.

The two of them stood next to a row of shrubs in the small garden. Sidharth put his hands in his trouser pockets as he stared into the distance. He made several attempts to say something, but changed his mind every time.

He did not know to how to broach the subject. He was having second thoughts now: was it even a good idea to let Shehnaaz get involved?

Sidharth’s tall, strapping figure cut a handsome figure as he stood in the garden, lost in thought. Above him, the sky was blue and clear; the sun was out, but its rays were muted by the winter cold.

A fragrant scent wafted through the garden.

Shehnaaz stood quietly beside Sidharth. She wasn’t in a hurry to ask him what was going on. She enjoyed being alone with Sidharth. Standing here, next to him, made her feel at peace, as though all was right with the world.

Sidharth, on the other hand, was going over old memories in a state of frustrated annoyance. His gaze drifted to Shehnaaz’s face, and he saw her watch him with her dark, evocative eyes. Her eyes spoke eloquently of her love and faith in him.

Sidharth immediately calmed down. He took out a pack of cigarettes from his trouser pocket, tapped out a cigarette, and lit it. He took a long drag on it, before breathing out the smoke in the direction of the wind. He was careful to keep Shehnaaz away from his cigarette smoke.

Shehnaaz did not actually mind the cigarette smoke. She loved the scents on Sidharth: the faint scent of tobacco on his fingers, mixed with the hint of gunpowder and leather on his palm, made her feel safe and secure.

“Kirat and my father will be getting engaged during the Shukla family’s New Year party tomorrow.” Sidharth’s sudden revelation dropped on Shehnaaz like a bombshell, shattering her reverie.

“What?! They’re getting engaged?! What about Mrs.
Singhania?!” The news of the engagement caught Shehnaaz by surprise. Anand had remained single for so many
years after his divorce—why the sudden rush to get engaged?

As for Rita, she had recognized her ex-husband even when she was mentally impaired. Shehnaaz was 100% sure Rita was still in love with Anand.
She was willing to stake her life on it!

“…What about her?” Sidharth took another drag on his cigarette, his expression impassive. “I don’t think my mother will want to reconcile with my father.”

Shehnaaz: “…” Fine, I’ll go with whatever you say, you handsome stud, you.

“I just told my mother some of the things that have happened in the last 16 years. She’s a little emotionally unstable right now. I want you to go talk to her.” Sidharth glanced sideways at Shehnaaz’s delicate, exquisite face. “There’s one thing you should keep in mind: the things we’ve heard represent only one side of the story. Now that my mother has recovered and can speak for herself, you’ll find that the situation isn’t as straightforward as it seems.”