Chapter 191 - You Must Believe Me (2)

Rohit kept the smile on his face as he looked in the direction of the black limousine. Inwardly, however, he was reeling from shock.

Why was Kartik at the party?!

If this was happening in the United States, Rohit would not have batted an eyelash; Kartik was an extremely influential man in the US political and military circles, after all. But here, in the India?!

Had Kartik always been such close friends with the Prime Minister’s family?

Rohit felt he had failed in his duty as a Special Ops soldier. Why hadn’t he discovered anything about this during the background checks on Kartik?

Rohit pretended to rub his ear with a hand as he tapped his earpiece, sending a sequence of loud and soft clicks over to Deepak and Sidharth. It was a
message in Morse code.

Deepak and Sidharth received the news at the same time.

Deepak did not know who Devika Gandhi was. Like Rohit, he was surprised to hear that Kartik had been invited to such an exclusive party.

Sidharth’s feelings, however, were slightly more complicated.
Why was Devika going around with Kartik? His face clouded, but in a moment he had turned to fix his gaze upon Shehnaaz’s lovely face. He reached out and
squeezed her hand.

Shehnaaz turned to look at him, her pouty, cherry red lips curved into a faint smile. Her large, doe-like eyes shimmered like an autumn lake; even the iciest hearts had to melt at the stirring sight of her.

Deepak got out of the bulletproof car and opened the door for Sidharth.

Sidharth emerged from the car. He turned and helped Shehnaaz out of the car.

Shehnaaz was wearing a cherry pink A-line one-shoulder evening gown made of tulle, with a small mink cashmere shawl draped across her shoulders. Her long hair hung over her back, unadorned save for the headband braid above the smooth expanse of her pretty forehead. It was a look reserved only for the young and confident; it was beautiful, and full of youthful daring. Her exquisite eyebrows were entirely natural—she had not had to trim or artificially shape them. She did not need mascara, either: her eyelashes were long, curly, and
naturally thick. Unlike the heavily made-up women about her, she did not have to worry about her mascara streaking and spoiling her good looks. It was the same for her face; there was only a thin layer of matte foundation on her face. She had only put it on to dampen the effect of her snowy white complexion, which
would have attracted too many stares otherwise. She had chosen a pale cherry pink for her lipstick, which made her pouty lips seem even more enticing.

She had tried not to attract too much attention, but her natural beauty and youthful radiance set her apart from the rest of the crowd. She was truly one of a kind.

Sidharth admired her beauty, but he did not show it. Instead, he took her hand and escorted her towards the steps leading to the Prime Minister’s official residence.

Outside the main entrance of the Prime Minister’s official residence, Kartik presented himself to the Prime Minister and his wife. He bowed slightly, and said, his expression cool and impassive, “My name is Kartik Sen. Pleased to meet you.”

The Prime Minister quickly shook hands with him. He said, with heartfelt emotion, “Thank you, Lawyer Sen. Devika would never have been able to return to us, if it hadn’t been for you!”

“Big Sis! Big Sis! You’re finally back!” The young, delicate girl beside Falak Gandhi came forward and took Devika’s hand. “Big Sis, do you remember me? It’s me, Falak!”