Chapter 40: The Interview (3)

I know for some of you this story has started to sound boring but I can do nothing about it and because there are still some people who read it with interest I will continue publishing chapters. Number of updates will increase according to the amount of time I can get to write chapters everyday. My heartfelt thanks to everyone for supporting this story.
LOVE YOU ALL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“She said her name was Rashmi Desai.” Shehnaaz scrutinized Kartik Sen’s expression— he appeared to be
calm, but she could see the stiffness in his shoulders. She laughed lightly and said, “Professor Sen, maybe she did it for my good own? Please don’t be upset.”

She paused, her voice tinged with sarcasm. “Or maybe, she knew that I’m the type who can’t stand to be goaded, so she prodded me at the last moment to encourage me to perform better in the interview. See, didn’t I do well today? You’ll still be sending me the letter of acceptance, right?”

Kartik tidied the file, unperturbed. He stood up and glanced at Shehnaaz. “You are quite eloquent. Keep it up
and work hard to be a successful barrister.”

Befor he left the room, he took out his phone to send a text, then clicked “Admit” on Shehnaaz’s name on the B
University School of Law’s admissions site. He confirmed the change and showed it to Shehnaaz. “You can check your inbox; the admissions email should have been sent automatically. You should receive the hard copy in three days, but call me if you don’t.”

Shehnaaz checked the inbox on her phone. A notice of admission from the B University School of Law Post Grad
Admissions Office was already there. With this, Shehnaaz finally sighed in deep relief and shrugged the tension off her shoulders. She immediately forwarded the admissions email to Rohit and Sandeep. She didn’t send it to Sidharth, because he didn’t have a personal email. She didn’t bother with his work email either because rather than going through it himself, he had it monitored by his personal secretary, Deepak Rathi.

“Thank you, Professor Sen. I look forward to working with you.” Shehnaaz bowed at Kartik Sen again. “I hope that you will graciously forget that I was late twice.”

Kartik was still texting on his phone. “If I truly hadn’t wanted to admit you, I could’ve simply failed you after your
interview. Why would I go through all that trouble and give you a special position in the spring semester? I don’t have the free time to make your life miserable.”

Shehnaaz made a silly face behind  Kartik’s back and then giggled. “I knew Professor Sen wasn’t a petty,
two-faced backstabber. That’s why I came to interview despite the great mental pressure. Thank goodness I made a winning bet.”

Kartik paused and turned around to look at her, his black brows raised. “That’s silly.” He then changed the
subject. “You have over half a year from between graduating this summer till classes start next spring. What
do you have planned?”

Shehnaaz shook her head. “I haven’t decided yet. I still have to discuss it with my family.”

“You really listen to everything they say?”

Shehnaaz shrugged and laughed, “I’m still young; I’m not even eighteen yet. Of course I have to listen to my family, they would never do me harm.”

Kartik didn’t say anything more and instead dialled a number. Shehnaaz’s phone began to ring, but the call ended just as as she was about to pick up.

Kartik raised his phone. “That’s my number; save it. If you don’t have much going on, you can help me with cases this summer break.”

Shehnaaz was delighted and quickly saved Kartik’s number. “I will
definitely contact you then.”

Kartik said goodbye and had her leave first, then sat down in the small office next door. Rashmi appeared not long after and asked gracefully, “Professor Sen, you called?”

Kartik pushed a file towards her. “I’ve admitted Shehnaaz. Complete her registration.”

Rashmi was floored. “Professor Sen, you’re really admitting her? But she…”
Not withstanding that Shehnaaz had been absent twice, she had also argued with Kartik. Rashmi had known him for years and Shehnaaz had certainly touched a nerve.

“Business is business. Don’t overthink it.” Kartik lit a cigarette, his eyes focused on hers. He didn’t ask the
question aloud but Rashmi already understood that Shehnaaz had already told him of their encounter. Rashmi smiled a bit helplessly and played yesterday’s recording for Kartik.

“That was all. I was being kind and didn’t want Professor Sen to be vexed with her later on. I also didn’t want anything to happen to this young lady’s future because of her previous
mistakes. I didn’t think she would be so sharp tongued and skilled at twisting people’s words. I almost feel cornered by her,” Rashmi carefully said in a quiet voice as she opened the file Kartik had passed her. She organized all the documents inside by category.

Kartik blew out a ring of smoke, his inky eyes half-open.

He stared in the direction of the door for a while. until the recording ended. He did not speak.

Rashmi sat elegantly across from Kartik, lifting her eyes to smile at him. The morning sunlight was sliced into
strips by the blinds and illuminated her, casting her half in light and half in darkness. Kartik smoked and shifted his gaze to Rashmi’s face, deep in thought.

Before him, Rashmi slight but full figure was outlined by her sleek business dress ensemble. Her brows and lips were delicate, her nose straight and fine, and her almond eyes slightly lifted at the corners. She was like an ancient beauty from a classical painting—voluptuous, enchanting, and possessing the graceful bearing of one who had weathered through many a storm.

Kartik stubbed the cigarette in the ash tray. “Is there anything else?”

Rashmi relaxed. She took out her electronic organizer.

“There was a request today. A client in C City is seeking to hire you as an attorney, for a generous sum.”

Kartik was not only a partner to a major American law firm, but he also held a law license in the India. He had his own law firm in the capital as well.

“Oh? Who is it?”

To hire Kartik as an attorney, one not only needed deep pockets, but would also be in big enough trouble.

“This family…has a bit of history with you.” Rashmi withdrew a file from her briefcase. “Do you remember the
first student you interviewed, Arti Sinha?”

Kartik took the file and skimmed over it. “Didn’t Arti violate the school rules and get expelled? The Sinha family, yes? What’s going on with them?”

“Arti Sinha did violate the school rules and not only was she expelled, but she was also sentenced to one year of
community service.” Rashmi said, her voice expressing the pity she felt. “What a shame for this student. She
somehow messed with the wrong people and got into trouble.”

“Rashmi, remember that you are also a lawyer. Your unprofessional verbiage is enough grounds for termination.”

Kartik tossed the file back. “I don’t want my people to spout this kind of nonsense and be seen as a joke.”

*
*
*
I hope you enjoy reading it.
Love you all.

🎊Happy Choti Diwali 🎊