Chapter 137: You're All Trash

Right now life is giving me lemons but I too fuc*ing made lemonade out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kartik’s warm, slender fingers were wrapped firmly around Shehnaaz’s delicate hand.

His expression was cold and ruthless, but his bright almond eyes looked at Shehnaaz with concern.

Shehnaaz looked towards Rohit. She tried to free herself from Kartik’s grasp, but he reflexively tightened
his hold on her.

Just then, a policeman came over and asked Rohit to follow him. “Are you the owner of the car? The sergeant has
a few questions for you.”

Rohit put an arm around Shehnaaz’s shoulder, and looked at Kartik. “Professor Sen, I’m leaving Sana in
your care for now. I’ll pick her up from your office once I’ve taken care of this.”

Kartik nodded. “Okay, no problem. I was going to discuss her case with my assistants anyway. You should join the discussion when you come over.” He tightened his grip on Shehnaaz’s hand.

Rohit let go of Shehnaaz. “Go, I’ll look for you later.”

Shehnaaz looked at him a second time, before Kartik turned her around and led her to his car.

Kartik opened the car door and helped her in.

Shehnaaz was deathly pale. Her eyes were wide and unseeing; it took some time for her to react to her surroundings.

Kartik did not say anything. He started the car and drove to his office.

When they arrived at Kartik’s office, he made her a cappuccino with extra milk and sugar.

“Here, drink this.” Kartik held the blue and white coffee mug out to Shehnaaz.

Shehnaaz did not take the mug. She looked up at him, her expression timid, like a child in unfamiliar company.

There was a storm brewing in the depths of her eyes, but it was covered by a veil of fog. Her mind alternated between lucidity and confusion. She could feel memories stirring within her, struggling to break out; but when she made an effort to remember, she came up empty handed. There was
simply nothing there.

Is it possible I don’t actually have a past?

The thought flashed through Shehnaaz’s mind, unbidden.

Kartik saw that Shehnaaz wasn’t responding to him. He took a closer look at her eyes, and realized she was barely there. He put an arm around her and sat her down on the two-seater sofa, in his lap. He called out to her in a soft voice: “Sana? Sana?”

Shehnaaz’s eyes flickered at his voice. She looked at him doubtfully.

“Want some cappuccino? You told me it’s your favorite.” He raised the coffee mug to Shehnaaz’s lips.

Shehnaaz could smell the pleasant, lingering aroma of milk wafting from the cappuccino. It was comforting. She slowly opened her mouth.

Kartik pursed his lips. He let her lean against his chest, and supported her head as he raised the coffee mug to her lips. “Drink.”

Shehnaaz closed her eyes. She latched onto Kartik’s hand and began drinking the coffee in small sips.

Kartik watched her long, fan-like eyelashes flutter close over her beautiful inky eyes.

Under her exquisite nose, her pouty lips latched onto the coffee mug as she drank the warm cappuccino with
enthusiasm.

Coffee, sugar, and milk all had a soothing effect on the nerves; the effect was amplified when taken together.