Chapter 63: No Signal

Strongman hurried out to sign off on the delivery. He had just brought everyone’s dinner inside, with the help of two other male classmates, when there was a loud boom of thunder.

The sound of rain followed. It was as though a reservoir up in the sky had burst open; the rain poured relentlessly, in an unending torrent.

The staff who had delivered their food rushed back outside, and disappeared into the wind and rain.

It was impossible to eat outside in the yard while it was raining like this.

Parth had everyone claim their dinner and return to their respective rooms to eat.

Shehnaaz, as per her usual habit, had her eyes glued to her phone while eating dinner. Suddenly, she frowned, the wrinkles in her brow deepening with every passing second.

“What’s wrong, Lil Sis? Why are you so upset? Class Rep was super well-behaved today—he totally ignored the Two-faced B*tch from Class Two, so don’t worry!” Little Temptress had automatically assumed that Shehnaaz was angry with Parth.

Shehnaaz did not bother replying; she put her chopsticks down, and walked around the room with her phone raised.

She tried every spot, and finally walked to the door, her phone still held high above her.

It was still raining cats and dogs outside; there was even the occasional sound of thunder.

Was it the rain? Was that why there was no phone signal?

“What’s she doing?” Green Tea Sharma was dumbfounded. She asked Lady Singh, “Did Lil Sis eat something funny?”

Lady Singh was also frowning at her phone. She said, perplexed, “Lil Sis is looking for a signal. What’s going on?
I’m not getting a signal on my phone, either.”

“Maybe it’s your phone?” Little Temptress produced her phone. “Voila! My latest Vertu diamond phone! Hmm? Wait… it looks like you’re right: there’s no signal!”

Green Tea Sharma got out her iPhone, and found that she didn’t have a signal either.

Shehnaaz had turned back to her roommates. She looked at them, her face very pale. Although she was trying very hard to stay calm, she could not hide the panic in her eyes.

“There’s no signal: there’s no signal anywhere.” Shehnaaz said, her face white as a sheet. “I’m going online.”

She tried to connect to the resort Wi-Fi, only to find that even the internet was down!

“What happened?!” Little Temptress asked worriedly. “No internet? Are they trying to kill us?!” She slumped
dramatically.

Everyone had long since taken the internet for granted, and expected it to be available at all times.

In this day and age, being unable to connect to the internet was an unimaginable nightmare, tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment.

Shehnaaz stared at her phone, and thought for a long moment. She opened the door and walked along the
covered passageway to look for Parth. She wanted to ask him if he could get ahold of the resort staff and ask to
borrow their telephone.

“Sana, you’re here! Looking for the Class Rep, I suppose?” Strongman had spotted Shehnaaz, clad in an olive green camouflage T-shirt, and was now enthusiastically inviting her in.

Shehnaaz shook her head. “I’ll wait here.”

“Class Rep! Sana’s here for you!” Strongman hurriedly turned and called for Parth when he realised that Shehnaaz wasn’t going to come inside.