Chapter 57: Targeted

One evening, in early May, Kasmira left her university campus and went to Brother Goldy’s nightclub to look for him.

She was just in time to overhear some of the gang leaders. “…When are those Big Circle Boys going to beat it?They’ve been hangin’ around for ages. They tryin’ to take over our territory or somethin’?”

“Yeah, that’s what I think, too. They’ve been here for more than a month now. We’ve been payin’ for their food and
expenses the whole dang time. The second we say somethin’ they don’t like, they pull out their guns and threaten us.”

“Pfft! What’s so scary about guns from the black market? Let them try steppin’ on my toes – I’ll smoke every last one of ’em!”

“Don’t! It’s money the Big Circle Boys are after, they don’t actually want to kill us. And there may not be a lot of them, but any one of them can take on ten of ours, easily. We better not provoke them. Besides, it’s money we want, too. No point shooting it out with them.”

The occupants of the exclusive private room were gang leaders from the neighboring cities. They were all equal to Brother Goldy in status; even so, they were afraid of these so-called “Big Circle Boys.”

Feng Yichen could not help but listen to their conversation with great interest.

A man with bleached hair had just come out of the private room to have a smoke. He saw Kasmira walk over to him with a smile on her face, and immediately began to bow obsequiously as he greeted her: “Ma’am, very nice of you to come.”

“Brother Goldy hasn’t been feeling well lately. I came to check on him, see if he’s taken his medicine. Also, he shouldn’t be smoking or drinking while on his medication, doctor’s orders.” Kasmira said all this casually, in a soft voice, but her voice was just loud enough for everyone inside the private room to hear her.

Brother Goldy, his face split in a wide smile, called out to her from inside the room. He invited her in and introduced her to everyone in the room.

Kasmira was much more educated than everyone else in the room, to say nothing of her background and upbringing.

Brother Goldy was always more than happy to have her on his arm in public, and he was proud to show her off now.
The gang leaders in the room sang Kasmira’s praises, before politely moving on to idle conversation. They did not bring up the Big Circle Boys again.

Kasmira was not in a hurry. She sat patiently next to Brother Goldy and watched over him to make sure he did not drink any of the alcohol.

After the party was over, Kasmira returned to her house with Brother Goldy. On the way back, she finally heard what she had been waiting for: Brother Goldy gave a sigh, and said,
“…Those Big Circle Boys are absolutely fearless. Armed to the teeth, too. Sure isn’t easy dealing with them.”

“Well, if they’re as powerful as you claim, maybe you should ask them to stay…” Kasmira probed tentatively. A soft hand gently made its way to Brother Goldy’s brow and began to tenderly massage his temples.

Brother Goldy had a migraine; he closed his eyes and patted Kasmira’s arm. “I can’t have them hanging about… this town just isn’t big enough for the both of us. And anyway, the Big Circle Boys are very ambitious. This tiny city won’t be enough to whet their appetite.”

“Well, in that case, what are you worried about, Brother Goldy? They’ll leave, eventually.” Kasmira’s voice was even more gentle and sympathetic now. Her hands were now
massaging Brother Goldy’s arm.

Brother Goldy sighed, and moved Kasmira onto his lap as he folded her into his arms. “They don’t have the money to leave…”

The Big Circle Boys needed a massive amount of money – much more than Brother Goldy and his gang were willing to spare.