Chapter 158 - Family

Shehnaaz was not used to strangers touching her, and almost jumped out of her skin when held her hand.

When she first moved into the C University dormitory, it had taken her six months before she was finally comfortable with her roommates.

Shehnaaz valiantly resisted the urge to pull her hand out of Urvashi’s grasp, even though she was a complete stranger to her. She did not want to embarrass Sidharth.

Sidharth, on the other hand, was well aware of her secret quirks. He stood beside Shehnaaz and extracted her
hand from Urvashi’s grasp. He gave a small nod to Urvashi, before turning to Urvashi’s mother, Jiva, to ask: “Auntie Jiva, have you prepared a
room for Shehnaaz?”

He was very polite and courteous to her.

Jiva smiled. “Your rooms are ready, Young Master. Miss Jialan personally prepared the rooms for the both of
you.” She looked around. “Where is Miss Deepika? She was just saying she wanted to welcome you home.”

Sidharth’s grandfather, Rajdeep Shukla, stood up with the help of his cane. He frowned at Sidharth, but said nothing. He was evidently not in a good mood.

Urvashi’s eyes were glued to Shehnaaz. She was awestruck by her beauty, and even more amazed by Sidharth’s attitude towards her. She knew that Sidharth, her oldest cousin, had been away from home the last six years, busy with his duties as a soldier. She had heard that he had rescued a young orphan girl from a car accident, and had later adopted her—that must be the young lady standing before now, Miss Shehnaaz.
She guessed that Sidharth was very fond of this young orphan girl, judging from the way he had acted
towards her at the door: he would not have thought to personally wrap a scarf around her otherwise.

Urvashi lowered her eyes.

She had never forgotten—and would never forget—how Sidharth had behaved towards her and her younger
brother when they had first set foot in the Shukla residence.

Back then, he had never once looked directly at them, and had even ordered them to remain 3 feet away from him at all times. Apart from the two veteran household servants, no one had been allowed to touch his belongings: anyone who violated this rule ended up viciously booted out of the house by Sidharth, dead or alive…

Urvashi and her brother had found their Cousin Brother to be as terrifying as the devil himself.

Sidharth had only become a little less difficult to deal with when he had been admitted to the military academy at the age of 16. He had moved out after that.

Even then, he had remained just as touchy with his belongings every time he came home for his annual vacation. His OCD had worsened, in fact: he had barred even the two veteran servants from entering his room, and had cleaned his room and done his laundry himself to ensure no one would ever come near his things.

Urvashi knew Sidharth joined the military when he was a junior in college, but his involvement with the
military had been shrouded in secrecy ever since then. She did not know what he did in the military, only that he quickly rose through the ranks. Within 10 years, he had been
promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to Major General—his meteoric rise had set a new record in the history of the
Indian Military.

As Sidharth steadily climbed the military ranks, his abrasive personality naturally mellowed out. His old quirks disappeared, and he learned to be courteous and polite to
the people around him. His social conduct was now above reproach.

Urvashi and Priyank were not so easily fooled, however; they had lived with Sidharth for many years, and knew that the frosty barrier around his heart had never really gone away.
They were therefore stunned to see his open concern and sincere respect for Shehnaaz, a mere orphan girl.