Chapter 171 - I'm Your Antidote

Deepika staggered backwards, white as a sheet. Shehnaaz had cut her like a sharp razor.

Kirat shook her head in disapproval. She said to Anand, "Anand, we've waited for so long for Rita to get better. Are you going to stand idly by and let this opportunity slip away? We have to double down on our efforts to cure her now that her condition is improving-who knows when our next opportunity will come, if we end up missing the boat on this one..."

Anand pursed his lips. He glowered at Sidharth as he commanded, "What are you doing? Take your mother upstairs, now! Don't listen to the nonsensical babblings of outsiders."He had used "outsiders," in the plural, but it was obvious that he was referring to Shehnaaz specifically.

The cogs inside Shehnaaz's head were turning at full speed. She was still trying to think of a way to convince Anand when Sidharth calmly spoke up. "Sana is speaking on my behalf. I want to take my mother to another doctor."

"Nonsense! I won't allow it!" Anand stepped in front of Sidharth, blocking his way. Seen from a distance, both father and son appeared to have been cut from the same cloth, but the similarities were superficial: Sidharth was taller, more heavily built, anda lot younger.

"You won't allow it? On what grounds?" Sidharth puthis hands in his pockets. His posture was relaxed and leisurely, but the aura around him was just as fierce and indomitable as Anand's. "You already divorced her.You have no right to decide whether she stays or goes. I, on the other hand, am her son, and also a major general,commander of the 6th Military Region. I have completeauthority to take her away, and I advise you not to mess with me."

Anand's hands trembled. "How... how... how dare you?!"

"I had to listen to you, all these years. You made my decisions for me, and I had to accept them-but that ends today. From now on, I do what I want. I don't have to ask for permission from anyone, not anymore," Sidharth
continued calmly.

Anand's face had gone purple with rage. He was happy to have a strong-minded, capable son, but his son was now proving too much for him to handle: Sidharth had vaulted over him in terms of rank and authority, and was now keeping him pinned to the ground, underfoot. Anand did not like being stepped on by his son.

Kirat hurriedly cut in. "Cool it, the both of you!" She turned to Sidharth and said, "Sidharth, don't provoke your father, he has high blood pressure. As for your
mother, she's extremely important to the military, because of her role in their experiment. You know how sick she is, so don't be rash-if you take her away, and something happens to her, well, you can kiss goodbye to your future prospects!"

Shehnaaz was quick to pick up on the underlying implication. Kirat was actually threatening to sabotage Sidharth's "future prospects."

Shehnaaz was not about to let Kirat get away with it, of course.

Shehnaaz was thinking rapidly. This old hag clearly has too much time on her hands. She's a husband-stealer, and now she's trying to tell Sidharth and his father what to do. Well, I'll just have to find something to keep her busy...

Shehnaaz rolled her eyes, and said icily to Kirat: "Physicist Reddy, you should worry about yourself." She paused, and waited for everyone in the living room to focus their attention on her before announcing slowly, in a clear voice, "I've decided to sue Kirat for practicing medicine
without a license, her malpractice has clearly led to the aggravation of her patient's condition. I am also suing her for intentional assault, attempted murder, and for wrecking the marriage of a member of the armed forces, which as you all know is a crime in this country. You'll be receiving a summons from the court very soon, just you wait!"