Chapter 41: Touched a Nerve

Rashmi felt her blood run cold. She was acutely aware that she had touched a nerve…

She, too, regretted her conduct with Shehnaaz. She thought she had gotten away with it when Kartik did not press the matter after listening to the recording, but it was now apparent that Kartik had merely chosen to bide his time, waiting for just the right moment to express his anger.

In retrospect, she should have seen it coming. It was only natural for someone like Kartik to keep his cards close to his chest.

If he wanted to punish someone, he would do it without ever revealing his real reasons for doing so.

Two years ago, when he was only 26 years old, he became a partner at the largest law firm in the United States. He had accomplished this feat not only because of his exceptional talents as a lawyer, but also because he was always one step ahead of everyone else…

“Professor Sen, forgive me, I was wrong,” said Rashmi as she stood up quickly, “but what about this case?
Will you take it?”

“No, I won’t,” said Kartik impatiently as he, too, rose from his seat, “and stop bringing me all these garbage cases. You’ve been sloppy recently. Perhaps you’re overworked? Shall I give you a nice, long vacation? Or perhaps you’d like to resign and go home to your folks? I can always get another assistant.”

Rashmi’s composure evaporated upon hearing this. Her mind was reeling. She never imagined Kartik would
actually send her away!

“Professor Sen! Please forgive me, just this once! I’ve been loyal to you for so many years!” Rashmi’s eyes were wet with tears; she looked like she was
ready to kneel and grovel before Kartik.

Gone was her calm and gentle demeanor. Her face was full of terror, her entire body trembled, and her full, luscious lips quivered.

Kartik looked quietly at her for a few moments. He reached out, his cool fingertips brushing her cheek as he
wiped a few drops of tears from her face. His voice was clear, but also cool and deliberate, as he said, “Very well.
But there will not be a next time.” He went out the door as he said this.

Rashmi let out a long sigh of relief. She steadied herself on one corner of the office desk, not trusting her legs to be able to support her just yet.

She lifted a hand and touched her face, where Kartik had wiped away her tears, and told herself that she could not afford to make another mistake.

She knew exactly how cold-blooded and merciless Kartik could be.

Shehnaaz walked happily out of the administrative building for the law department, and ran over to Parth, who was waiting for her at the sheltered parking spot nearby.

She showed him the enrollment email on her phone, and said, “Professor Sen has accepted me as his student!”

“He admitted you right then and there?” Parth was smiling, too. He peered at the email on her phone. “Oh, it really is a letter of admission for B University Law School.
Congratulations, Sana!”

Parth, swept up in the moment, grabbed hold Shehnaaz’s hand, then put his arm over her shoulders, practically holding her in his arms as he bundled her into the car.

Shehnaaz was feeling a little uncomfortable by this, but luckily for her Parth released her as soon as they were inside the car; he had not lost all sense of propriety. But when he leaned over her to get her seat belt, she hastily pushed his hand away, saying, “I can do it myself.”

Parth did not insist. He started the car and began driving towards the dormitory block, smiling as he said, “I’ve made reservations for a nice hotel dinner. We’ll be celebrating your grad school admission tonight!”