Chapter 69: Dispatch

The power outage led to a few people wandering outside of their rooms, protesting and complaining to one another while they tried to make sense of what was happening.

“D*mn it!” one man yelled, “what the h*ll?! This resort is so unprofessional! Are they deliberately trying to piss off their guests, or what? No phone signal, no internet, and now, no electricity! The landlines don’t work either! How could they run their business this way?”

The resort guests in the other courtyards had only just noticed the abnormality of their situation, and were now causing a ruckus, demanding to speak with the resort
management.

However, the rain quelled the heated conversations, a natural and effective deterrent. They withdrew into their
rooms. They would wait for the rain to stop before storming out to give the resort managers a piece of their minds.

Over at the resort’s administration building, the bright lights in the managing director’s office suddenly flashed twice before going out.

Jeetu was sitting in the executive chair when the lights went out. He was startled by the sudden darkness; he
looked up at the ceiling lamp, and asked one of his men, “What happened? A power outage?”

“I’ll go take a look, Boss.” Another one of his men walked out of the room, gun in hand.

Jeetu was uneasy. His right eyelid twitched uncontrollably.

It was said that when left eyelid twitched, it signified incoming wealth.

A jumping right eyelid, however, signified incoming disaster.

His twitching right eye made him frantic with fear; it was an ill omen. Consumed by his superstition and panic, he clapped a hand over his insolent right eye.

Over at right wing, everyone had already learned from Parth that there was trouble brewing in the resort. They were also told that the students in Class Two, had been knocked out. Scared and confused, the students of Class One were now obediently hiding in their rooms, debating amongst themselves on how to protect themselves.

While they were already badly frightened, the moment the lights in their rooms died out, many students were sent into a terrified frenzy. The danger was escalating.

Strongman made rounds and comforted his classmates, room by room. “It’s all right, ok? The lights have gone out because the Class Rep and Shehnaaz have cut off the power. This is a good thing. I mean, it’s not like we had been able to use our phones or access the internet earlier, right?”

He tried to joke. “You know what? We should try living as our ancestors did back in the Stone Age. Who needs electricity, anyway?”

Little Temptress, Green Tea Sharma, and Lady Singh stood together, nervously staring in the direction of the gate. They were waiting for Shehnaaz and Parth to come back.

The two gangsters who had just arrived at left wing had also been caught off-guard by the power outage.

In fact, they were probably the ones most surprised by it. They had just finished searching the first room when the lights had abruptly went out. “Sh*t! What the f*ck! Why are the lights out?!” One man cursed.

They had been walking around left wing with photos in their hands, trying to identify their targets, but so far it had been a slow and cumbersome process. The students of Class Two were lying about in all kinds of positions, unconscious. The gangsters had to turn their heads to check their faces, one by one.