Chapter 199 - Déjà Vu (3)

Rashmi had not expected Shehnaaz to shift the focus of their discussion from Devika to the relationship between Kartik and herself.

"...Is your question related to the current investigation?" Rashmi asked impassively. She pursed her lips right after that, indicating that she did not want to talk about it.

"Of course it's related." Shehnaaz cupped her cheeks in both hands as she smiled serenely at Rashmi. "You have to answer my question."

"How exactly is it related?" Rashmi asked without missing a beat. What did her relationship with Kartik  have anything to do with Devika and her crimes?

"Why should I tell you?" Shehnaaz cocked her head. "Who's supposed to be the professor here? Do I have to spell everything out for you? Are you even worthy of your position as an associate professor at Harvard Law School?"

"Now you're just being a bully!" The corner of Rashmi's mouth began to twitch. "You're just making things up, because you know very well there isn't a connection between the two!" "Like I said, I am under no obligation to answer your questions. You, on the other hand, have to answer mine because you've been asked to assist in the investigation."

Shehnaaz rapped her knuckles on the table. "Your connection with Devika Gandhi means Professor Sen is involved by default. This is why we have to investigate your relationship with him. Miss Desai, is that so difficult to
understand?"

Rashmi: "..."

"How did you manage to become a lawyer at the largest law firm in America, or be an associate professor at Harvard Law School? They must have been desperate." Shehnaaz typed out her notes on the laptop. "So? Spit it out, and don't try anything funny."

"I don't understand what you mean." Rashmi decided to send the ball back into Shehnaaz's court. "I'm just Professor Sen's teaching assistant-why do you say I'm his nanny? Are you thinking of someone else?"

"You don't understand what I mean?" Shehnaaz looked directly at Rashmi. "You've never acted like his nanny? But I've seen you hold an umbrella over Professor Sen when I was in C University, and you looked just like a doting nanny. And don't get me started on the way you fawned over him
in America. Then again, I guess you're not actually a nanny, but some kind of butler. Yes, I think that describes you better: you're his butler."

"Shut up!" Rashmi had finally lost her temper. "Professor Sen and I were both from the same town. My family is indebted to his. He doesn't have any relatives
around him-is it a crime if I help take care of him instead? Can't colleagues also be friends who care for one another? Why do you make it sound so vulgar?"

"Oh, it's entirely normal to be friends with your colleagues, and to care for another, I agree. But I've never, ever, seen a female colleague hold an umbrella over a male colleague, or open car doors for him-you're the first. It's usually the man who takes care of the woman." Shehnaaz smiled. "Besides, I've been to Professor Sen's house when I was in America. I know exactly what role you perform in his house, and what kind of job you have to do. You may try to hide it, but you can't fool me!"

"What exactly did Professor Sen tell you?" Rashmi paled. There was a hysterical note in her voice, which was now high-pitched and shaky.

Shehnaaz arched an eyebrow; the wheels in her head turned, and she decided to try a bluff. She smirked and said: "Everything."

Rashmi's perfectly trimmed eyebrows shot up. She stared at Shehnaaz incredulously. "Everything? He told you everything?"

"Yes, everything," Shehnaaz said calmly. She lowered her head to peer at the laptop screen as she continued typing out her notes.