Chapter 193 - You Must Believe Me (4)

Devika had never had anyone talk to her like that. After a long moment of surprised silence, she frowned and said, "What are you talking about? What's all this about congenital intellectual disability?"

"Congenital intellectual disability is the medical term for what is commonly known as mental retardation." Shehnaaz's eyes blazed with anger. There was a fire burning inside her, and she had to clench her fists to keep from punching Devika in the face. Her voice was as icy as a
frozen lake when she added: "Mentally retarded-do you get
it now?"

"Never heard of it." Devika's frown deepened. She shook her head. "Forget it, you're too young to understand what I'm talking about, anyway."

"Why wouldn't I understand?" Shehnaaz extended her hand to Devika. "Give me your phone. I want to ask you something."

Devika saw the change in Shehnaaz's attitude, and guessed that she was jealous. She handed over her phone with an easy smile. "My dear girl, what would you like to know?"

Shehnaaz broke out in goosebumps at Devika's cloying, sickly sweet tone. She forced a smile as she swiped through the photo on Devika's phone. "These were taken six, maybe seven years ago, correct?"

"Yes, you can see the date on the photos." Devika scooted over and laid a hand on Shehnaaz's arm as she looked at the photos. She sighed. "We were so wonderful
together back then. How did we end up being practically strangers?"

Shehnaaz took a deep breath. She took a closer look at the photos; there was no location information saved for the photos, so she forced herself to run an analytical eye over every single detail. She asked: "Where did the two of you live, back then? The scenery looks beautiful..."

Devika fidgeted beside her, before saying with a smile: "In C City. Have you been there?"

"Yeah. I'm from C City actually, I just arrived in the Indian capital." Shehnaaz stared fixedly at the photos. "Are you sure the two of you were living in C City back then?"

Devika gave a start; she appeared to have been hit with a sudden realization. She hesitated, before saying, "Oh, no, I misremembered. It wasn't C City. But don't bother asking me for the specific details, it's not like you've been there, anyway."

Shehnaaz chuckled. "Is that so? Let me ask you again: were you and Sidharth really living together? Were the two of you really a couple?"

"Why would I lie to you? We were even engaged," Devika said impatiently. She extended a hand towards Shehnaaz. "Now give me back my phone."

"No." Shehnaaz got up from the sofa, Devika's phone raised above her head and out of her reach. She retreated to the tall potted plant beside the sofa. "Miss Gandhi, you're a liar. That in itself is not a crime, but you were stupid enough to lie about Sidharth to my face. Tell me, are you mentally retarded, or merely suicidal?"

Devika was momentarily speechless. She finally picked up on the jealousy and resentment radiating from the young lady before her, and her lips quirked into a smile. She slowly got to her feet and said, in a tone loaded with meaning, "...So it's true, then. I thought it was just a baseless rumor."

"I don't care what you've heard. You shouldn't listen to idle gossip, they're almost always spread by two-faced backstabbers. If you choose to believe them, well, you're more gullible than I thought." Shehnaaz could not stand Devika. She tried her best to deny it, but deep down, she knew Devika was right: the photos had cut her deeply.

Shehnaaz was convinced that Devika had misrepresented the photos, but even so, she could not help the stinging pain in her heart. It hurt so much she found it difficult to breathe. But this was not the time to throw a childish tantrum. Her top priority right now was to return the blows Devika had rained upon her Devika had hurt her, and Shehnaaz was going to return the favor ten, no, a hundred times over! At that moment, Shehnaaz had transformed from a harmless, adorable little kitten to a ferocious leopard.