Chapter 170 - Love Letters

Shehnaaz had thought she had learned how to keep her composure from observing Sidharth in the last six years. She had been sure that nothing could surprise her any more.

However, as soon as she heard of Kirat’s other role, the corners of Shehnaaz’s mouth began to twist in frustration. Idiots! How could they let Mrs. Singhania’s rival-in-love be her primary
doctor? The whole family must be nuts!

The situation was now so incredible to Shehnaaz, her rising
temper actually deflated like a popped balloon from the sheer ridiculousness of it all. She looked to Sidharth, saw that he was entirely unruffled, and collected herself.

The Shukla family was no ordinary family: both Grandfather Shukla, Rajdeep Shukla, and Sidharth’s father, Anand Shukla, held high-ranking positions in the military. These were powerful, highly educated men; Shehnaaz found it difficult to believe that they had made such an elementary mistake. And Sidharth—he was Rita’s own flesh and blood. It was strange for him to not care about what was going on.

Shehnaaz did not think, for even a second, that Sidharth had made a mistake. In her mind, Sidharth was always right. If anyone
thought otherwise, Shehnaaz would know to doubt their own intellect and sanity. A man as accomplished and esteemed as Sidharth didn’t get to the position he had as Major-General by making careless mistakes.

Was there something else going on here? Something she wasn’t aware of?

Shehnaaz recalled that Sidharth had said he would tell her all the details later that night; unfortunately, Kirat had arrived before that could happen. What should I do? The wheels in Shehnaaz’s head spun rapidly. She decided that her top priority now was to get Rita away from
Kirat and Deepika.

Shehnaaz knew there were almost certainly other things going on in the background, things she wasn’t yet aware of.
Even so, Shehnaaz felt it was probably better to remove Rita from the clutches of the other two women.

Shehnaaz had made up her mind. She gave a cough and called out, “Physicist Reddy?”

Kirat was looking at Anand with a resigned expression on her face. Her lips were pressed in a straight line, and her face seemed pale and lifeless. She was a lot less lovely to look at, compared to Rita. “What is it?” Kirat’s gaze flickered from Anand to Shehnaaz. “I have things to do.”

“Oh, I know you must be very busy. You’re the chief scientist, your time is precious, and all that fun stuff. On the other hand, Mrs. Singhania here requires urgent treatment— which is why I think we shouldn’t take up your time with it.” Shehnaaz cocked her head as she said, smiling, “We should get someone else to be Mrs. Singhania’s psychiatrist. I think that would be best for all of us.”

“I’m not as busy as I used to be. Like I just said, I can take a few months off to live with Rita and concentrate on treating her condition.” Kirat looked away, clearly reluctant to continue the conversation with Shehnaaz. She
looked at Anand instead. “Anand, what do you say? When do I move in?”

Anand nodded. “You can move in whenever you like.”

Deepika smiled and clasped her hands together gleefully. “Aunt Kirat, did you bring your things with you? That’s okay if you didn’t, we have everything here. If we don’t have them, well, write down whatever you need in a list, and I’ll get someone to buy them, right away.”

Shehnaaz’s eyes widened in disbelief. She looked at Anand, and then at Sidharth, who had remained silent all this while. She could feel anxiety and unease begin to gnaw at her insides. What was wrong with these two men? Did they really think it was totally ok to have Kirat treat
Rita?