Chapter 83 - Shehnaaz's Intuition (3)

“They were after Sana?! That can’t be right. If she was their target, why didn’t they take her hostage?” Deepak was dubious. However, he could not dismiss the possibility right off the bat, either. The existence of the heavy weapons – weapons that could only have been smuggled in from overseas – complicated things.

“The kidnappers are just pawns in the game. The real mastermind behind the scenes wants to be sure Sana isn’t someone important. This whole incident was just them testing the waters,” said Sidharth, his voice cool and dispassionate. “As for why she wasn’t taken hostage – my guess is, they’re afraid of getting busted. Someone may trace the evidence back to them, so they decided not to risk a direct attack on Sana, not this time.”

Harsh and Deepak both shut up at this.
If Sidharth was right, then they had to stay inside the car no matter what…

The lights from the car sped along the road beside Little Mirror Lake, farther and farther, before disappearing into the darkness.

It was now completely dark.

The rain continued to pour relentlessly.

Shehnaaz watched as the military vehicle in front of her suddenly picked up speed. It sped away, faster and faster.

There was no way for her to catch up now.

She had been running at full speed; she gradually slowed down.

She bent over, hands on her knees, gasping wildly for breath. The insides of her nose stung, and her eyes were
wet. Water dripped from her face: was it rain water? Her sweat? Her tears? She could not tell.

“Sana, what’s wrong? Why are you running after that car?” Parth had also come to a stop beside her. He put an arm around her shoulder and gently helped her up.

Shehnaaz gazed at the road in front of her. There was nothing there but darkness; the lights of the Humvee had
long since disappeared. The darkness was so complete she could not even be sure she had actually seen the car.

“Nothing. Just wanted to see what that sniper looks like. His skills were out of this world.” Shehnaaz quelled the indescribable feelings that had welled up within her. She pressed her lips together, and turned to follow Parth
back the way they came.

Upon arriving at the straw hut, she turned to look across Little Mirror Lake.

Little Mirror Lake was a vast, misty expanse in the rainy night. Over in the distance, left wing looked tiny, like a
toy house in a fairy tale.

There was a distance of two kilometres between this side of the lake and left wing – and Uncle Sid had killed the enemy on the other side of the lake with a single shot from an anti-materiel sniper rifle!

Shehnaaz’s heart swelled with vicarious pride at the thought.

She looked up at Parth and said, “Don’t you want to know who that incredible sniper was?”

“I didn’t think you were the type to have a hero fetish,” said Parth, teasingly. “What, do I have to practice my shooting now?”

“Haha, you should, if you have the time!” Shehnaaz was in high spirits; she waved her fist jovially in the air.

Her long, wet hair clung to her back like seaweed. Her small, exquisite
face, barely the size of an open palm, appeared to glow like a pearl in the rainy night.

Parth had to look away. “Let’s get back to campus.”

“Okay.”

Parth took her hand in his and the two returned to the straw hut together. After a roll call to make sure everyone
was present, they returned to right wing with their classmates to gather their things, before getting on the bus
that would take them back to their college campus.